Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

8 weeks no heart beat??

This is my first pregnancy. I am 8 weeks 4 days pregnant. Me and my husband were very excited to know we are expecting. But just 2 days ago I started cramping not too bad. At first I didnt think much since Ive read it happens. Then I started spotting light pinkish not enough to see in my urine. But then I notice brown discharge coming out and pain on my side and back. I then rushed to the ER and blood was drawn, urine sample, pap, and a ultra sound. When they did the ultra sound they werent able to see a heart beat. The Doctor told me I might be experiencing a miscarriage or it might still be too soon to see a heart beat. They also told me my hormone levels were good and uterus was of normal size. She also asked me to follow up with my Gyno for an ultra sound in about 1-2 weeks to see if then the heart beat can be seen. Till then I was advised to be on bed rest. I am so nervous to know what is going on. I wanted to know if this has happen to someone else and if there is hope. The wait is truly nerve recking for me and my husband.

Replies

• Options

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing this worry. If there is any possibility that you could be out on your dates then you could be earlier than you think.. In which case it might be too soon to see a heartbeat. I think though that you do need to prepare yourself for the fact that you could be experiencing a miscarriage as if your dates are right, you should definitely be able to see a heartbeat at 8 weeks... Hb's can be seen on a vaginal scan from 6 weeks. 

My 1st pregnancy was similar to yours... Went to the er at 9+2 as i had a ti y bit of spotting & loss of symtoms. No hb seen & baby was looking smaller than it should. Turns put it had died at around 6 weeks but my body hadnt recognized it & started the miscarriage. 

Did the hospital tell you what your hcg count was when they drew your blood (they will have tested that for sure). you DO NOT have to wait 2 weeks to confirm what is happening. All you need is to go to your doc after 48 hours for a repeat blood test (quantitative hcg).... If your numbers are rising then that is a good sign, if they are falling then that confirms a miscarriage.

i hooe the best for you... Please keep us posted x

• Options

I will most definately see my Doctor after 48 hours. I still do continue spotting all day it will stop then continue its not very heavy. No blood clots at the moment and I do feel cramping.

I was given paper work from the ER and on my paper work all it says is (Recommend clinical correlation and serial beta HCG) other than that when I was at the hospital. They told me everything was good which increased my chance the only thing was no heart beat. Which I truly hope the date was just off. One thing that does worry me is that when I was 6 weeks the Doctors told me they saw a heart beat and now that Im 8 weeks they cant. My only hope is its just a big misunderstanding. 

• Options

Hi

I got pregnant in April. 2 weeks ago i started getting cramps but just thought Ive heard this can happen. On 30th May i was making tea and felt wet (sorry) i looked down and there was a bit of blood in between my legs. In a panick i phoned A&E where i was told from a speculum my womb was closed so was promising. 

I had a scan and could not see a heart beat. They said my sac looked empty but was sent home for 2 week on bed rest. 

Went back today to be told still nothing so was given a pill and will go back saturday for the other pills.

I pray and hope your baby is ok and a little heart beat is there for you. I think you need to get your mind into preperation for miscarriage because im more upset today because i read these forums and got my hopes up. But hopefully angels will be watching over you and show you what you want to see. 

• Options

Hi there,

the same happened to me, 1st pregnancy at 8weeks, I had an internal ultrasound and still no heartbeat could be found... They booked me back I'm for a second internal 9 days later (longest 9 days of our lives) and we were over the moon to find heartbeat was flicking away on the screen. It's amazing how they develop within a matter of days, so please stay positive!! Lots of love, I hope all goes well... I am now 35 weeks ????????

• Options

Hello,

To begin with, you may not by any stretch of the imagination be eight weeks pregnant. You may have menstrual cycles longer than 28 days, or you may have ovulated late that cycle. Trans abdominal tests (over the tummy rather than in the vagina) are not as delicate in distinguishing pregnancy and early pulse.

Thanks

aILSAJOHN@