Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How were hospital staff when you miscarried? Do you feel we should be treated with more compassion?

Hello

We've just published a news story today about Big Brother's Sallie Axl and how uncaringly she felt she was treated when she twice visited hospital during a late miscarriage.

And it's made us think about the way hospital staff treat women who are miscarrying a pregnancy.

We know, from our own personal experiences here at MadeForMums, that attitudes can differ hugely. Some hospital staff can be amazingly caring and understanding; others can be incredibly insensitive and cold, often using terms such as ERPC (evacuation of retained products of conception) that seems designed to be deliberately upsetting.

So, we'd like to know how the hospital staff were when you miscarried? 

Were you treated well and thoughtfully? Or did you find some staff attitudes upsetting?

Please do let us know. We'd love to hear about your experiences – and maybe it'll help us help hospitals reat miscarrying women more sensitively in future.

Replies

• Options

I found some staff quite insensitive to the situation. I miscarried in my first trimester and ended up having a D&C just before the 12 week mark. At a scan to determine if I had a viable pregnancy, whilst I was in tears at been told it wasn't the doctor said well you are 40!!! as if to say what did I expect.

I found then, the day of the D&C that the term ERPC, kept on been used. This to me is the most awful saying I had ever heard. To me having this procedure was taking my baby from me and the way they kept saying the words was like they were just removing a mole or something. To be told your baby is a retained product is horrendeous. Even if you are only just pregnant, you see this as your baby and imagine your future from the minute you get a positive test. Its hard enough having a miscarriage and losing that future without having to hear such horrible words.

I will say though the nurses were lovely to me and couldn't have looked after me enough. I ended up staying in hospital for the night and they were so good.