Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Blighted ovum or empty sac

Please can anyone advise me, I am at my wits end. I had a scan on Fri (I was 7 weeks) and the doc informed me that I had an empty sac, there was no baby. I am devastated. I just don't know what to do with myself. He said that I may miscarry and if not i have to go back next Fri for another scan. I have looked at the internet and they call it a blighted ovum. Has anyone out there had a similar experience? It is so sad as I feel pregnant and have all the symptoms. I am just supposed to wait, its a complete nightmare. I am going to call him again tomorrow to find out about my options. I couldn't take in all the information last Friday, I think I was in shock. Feel so so sad and empty.
Take care all
xxx

Replies

• Options
    i've only heard of this a couple of times before....am so sorry to hear....hope all goes well.. xxxx
  • Options
    Hi, again, I have only heard of this a couple of times. Maybe if you call your local midwife she might be able to give you some more information on it, and what you can expect etc. Take Care of yourself.xx
  • Options
    HI, first of all sorry for your loss I know its hard my friend had the same thing happen to her 3 times before she carried one to full time. What it means is that the egg got fertilised and started growing but for whatever reason and usually a defect it stopped growing but the sac inplanted anyway. No one knows why it happens unfortunately you still get all the pregnancy symptoms until you misscary which isn't usually until about week 12-14 when the placenta would have taken over.

My friend opted for a D&C which is when they operate and take away the thickened uterus lining etc so that your body goes back to normal rather than still thinking its pregnant for the next few weeks.

Hope this helps.
    Remember though just cos this has happened once doesn't necessarily mean it will happen again.

Take care of yourself
    Nicole
  • Options
    Hi all
    Thank you so much for your kind words. Its hard to go through this on your own, its good to know people are thinking of you. Still no miscarriage but I will go to the hospital on Friday night and then hopefully it will be over and I can draw a line under it and start trying for a baby again. I have also told my family today so am feeling a little better.
    Thanks millions
    Hugs to you all
    xxx