Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

7 week scan reveals nothing....?

Week 7 - No Baby Has Developed (apparently?).
I had a private scan at 5 weeks and 2 days (based on the 1st day of my last period). The Sonographer told me she could see the Sac and the Yolk. This cost me £100.
She recommended I return two weeks later at 7 weeks and 2 days. I did. This time, (there were two Sonographers present?) they told me that they could see the Sac and Yolk again and that it was bigger and clearer but there is "no development and nothing going on in there".

I asked them to confirm my interpretation of that to be of no chance to continue being pregnant and I will not go on to have a baby. They confirmed my worst fear: it's all over. No baby.

Naturally, my partner and I shed some tears and we let everyone know who had been with us on our journey that it had now come to an end and, in true optimism-style, to watch this space.

But one question remains: where's my miscarriage?

I looked online and I didn't have any of the symptoms. To be fair I "spotted" in my pants and teeny-tiny amount and it was pinky-brown a few days back but this lasted just ten minutes and was accompanied by zero pain or anything.

Moving on, I researched further and discovered (horrifyingly) that other women had been told the same thing at 7 weeks only to go back for a scan two weeks later and hey presto; baby is in there going strong!

I left the private scan clinic and called my GP for an emergency appointment. My reason was because "I've had a miscarriage. No... wait...I might have had one. I don't know. Do you know? I might have one soon? How does it all work? Shall I book time off work to have an impending miscarriage? Will it hurt? When will it come?"

When I saw the Dr. she asked me why I went for an early scan.
"Reassurance." I told her. Pah. Well, that's how they'd sold it to me, anyway. £200 down now.

I did another pregnancy test and it was positive (please bear in mind that, according to research, a positive pregnancy test result can still show up to 100 days AFTER a miscarriage). The Dr. said "It would be natural to assume that you are still pregnant considering you have zero symptoms of a miscarriage. I shall refer you to the Early Pregnancy Clinic on Monday. Also, if you hadn't had the private early scans, you would continue with your pregnancy all the way up until your NHS Scan booked 8-14 weeks." Food for thought.

"But I can't wait until Monday! Is there a baby down there or not?!" I pleaded.

The Dr. suggested that I could "try" going to A&E to request seeing a Gynaecologist.
And, in a puff of smoke and on the pretense I might - just might - be in a position to nip this in the bud sooner rather than later, my Partner and I were driving to Wexham Hospital.
There, I told them I am having a miscarriage/ not sure if I'm having a miscarriage/ am possibly about to have a miscarriage/ I'm so confused.
5 hours later and after taking my bloods, I saw a Junior Doctor who said that Gynaecologist department are busy and won't see me and there's not a lot they can do.

So I go home with my tail between my legs for the third time this day.

This very morning, I called the Early Pregnancy Clinic but they are not answering and there's no address to assist me to progress this avenue further. I called non-emergency NHS who've informed me I need to go back to my GP and to wait until Monday for opening hours.

It's Saturday today and, you know, people don't need to know whether they've lost their baby or not over the weekend so shout-out to the NHS! Grrrr.....😡

I'm currently still non-the-wiser as to whether I am pregnant or not, if there's any development down there, if the private scan people were wrong, how far gone I truly might be, if I've miscarried or not or I'm going to. I don't know who I'm supposed to call or see or talk to or do or what I'm supposed to do now. I'm going stir-crazy.

I'm in emotional turmoil. But I need to not be stressed because, if baby is still around, it might impact on her/ him. Breathe, Kate, breathe.🧘‍♀️

Please read these bullet- points:
• I've been trying to conceive for 15 years
• I am about to turn 40 but I'm healthy
• I would get period pains every month so bad that I would have to take Dicoflenic Suppositories, Tramadol and Naproxen and take two days off work
• I've been told I have Endometriosis
• I had a Laparoscopy by the amazing Dr Reginald in 2009 which removed a chocolate ovarian cyst and endometriosis. He went on to say I should conceive.
• I was on a Roaccutaine trial in 2001
• I have Hypothyroidism and have adjusted my dosage accordingly
• The Drs, NHS non- emergency and A&E were nothing short of friendly and "human" to me
• The private scan people (the 2nd time around) said they have a new computer system and not sure how to print the images, I have no idea who the second woman was or why she was there and they asked If I'd bought my reports from week 5 as they didn't have the comparison model set up on the new system. They also shoved me out of the door ready for their next client. But they gave me a glass of water so every cloud. Yes: I'm going to suggest a refund and and demand an apology.
• Any advice? Or similar peeps out there?
• Are early pregnancy scans glamorised and need to be regulated?🤔 I feel they prey on vulnerable women like me.  

Replies

• I had a missed miscarriage last year at about 5 weeks, we found out at a private scan at 10 weeks, went back 2 weeks later as you did to check there had been no progress it then took about another week for me to actually have the miscarriage. I hadn't had any signs or symptoms of a miscarriage until it actually happened and then there was no mistaking it!! So it actually took me about 8 weeks to have the miscarriage after it had stopped progressing!
    We waited for 1 cycle before trying again and got pregnant straight away (after ttc for 4 years with no success including IUI attempts) with a successful outcome!
  • Sorry to hear you’re having an awful time. I got sent for an emergency scan at 6+3 due to fears of ectopic pregnancy. There was a little bean, with a strong beating heart. A heartbeat can be present from 5-6 weeks. I know a lady who had 5 empty sacs which ultimately resulted in miscarriage. 
    I hope you don’t have bad news, keep us updated x
  • Hi just wondering how did u get on I hope u got gud news x
  • Hi, all. My partner and I had a missed miscarriage in the end.  I was told I had miscarried on Tue 6th Aug but my body hasn't recognised it yet.  Fast-forward to Thursdsay 15th and a terrible thing happened.  Please read my post at Insta: @katemahoneymodel to read the details. 

Thank you for your support.  Xx x