Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

Possible pregnancy eight weeks after methotrexate injection

I fell pregnant with my first pregnancy in August of this year and after around three weeks of back and forth visits to the hospital, it was confirmed that I was having an ectopic pregnancy. I was given the methotrexate injection on September 11th and advised to wait three months to try again. My HCG levels reached five by October 18th and I have been taking folic acid since then and I have also had two periods since the injection. We’ve really struggled with the idea of waiting again and December 11th has obviously been on my mind as that will be three months since the injection. I made the decision not to go back on the birth control pill as I felt my body had been through enough and long story short, after having some time with my husband the other night, I could now be pregnant again. Obviously it would be far too early to take a test and too early to be experiencing any symptoms but due to it being around my time of ovulation I know there’s a high chance I could be pregnant. I just wondered if anyone else had been in my situation before of falling pregnant two months after the methotrexate injection and if so, how the pregnancy has been? And if I do happen to be pregnant, should I be worried? I know that we should have been much more careful but obviously what’s done is done so I’m just wondering if anyone has ever been in a similar situation. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Hi there, I’m in a similar position and currently trawling the internet for others stories! I would have conceived exactly 12 weeks after my injection if I am pregnant right now... I can do a test on Saturday. I am panicking because I don’t know if the 3 months starts from the day of the injection or from when my hormone reached 0 and I was discharged, which would make it just under 10 weeks. I also have been hit and miss with my folic acid. I’d love to hear how you got on and if you received any medical advice? I don’t want to call epau as I fear they will judge me for being irresponsible. 
  • Hi Amethyst93,
    I would love to know how you got on. I have fallen pregnant approx 8 weeks after my mtx. I’m really worried about what could happen because I fell pregnant before 3 months.
  • Hi Amethyst93,
    I would love to know how you got on. I have fallen pregnant approx 8 weeks after my mtx. I’m really worried about what could happen because I fell pregnant before 3 months.
  • Hi ladies, 

I am so sorry for replying to this thread months later but I thought I would share how I got on in case anyone else happened to be in the same situation as me in the future. I made the decision to contact my GP and she gave me emergency contraception to ensure that I didn’t fall pregnant on this occasion. This was the absolute right thing to do in my opinion as, had I been pregnant, I would have worried constantly. My GP was lovely and just advised that we waited until the following month. I took the emergency contraceptive pill around three days after intercourse but the one that I was prescribed can be taken up to five days later I believe and can still be effective. I then returned two weeks later to take a pregnancy test which was negative and a huge relief. We did start trying again in December and we were extremely lucky and fell pregnant straight away and today happens to be my due date although there’s no signs of our baby just yet! So that was what I chose to do under the circumstances and looking back it was the absolute right thing given the risk involved and also given that we are now days away from welcoming our baby girl into the world. I hope this helps! Xxx