Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

5 weeks bleed - chemical pregnancy?

According to the apps I'm using I should be 5+4 weeks today. I got a faint positive on a hpt at 10 dpo and on 11 dpo I got a slightly darker positive on the same brand but a negative on a different brand. On 13 dpo I had faint positives on both. I waited a couple of days and tested again, hoping to see darker lines but they were still faint and by now AF was one day late so I started worrying that it wouldn't stick... Then yesterday, on 17 dpo, I went to the GP and told her my concerns. First she said it was too early to be testing positive, but then she said "Oh, if you've had a faint positive and it's not getting darker it's probably a chemical, nothing to do but wait for your period to start unfortunately..."

I said I'd like a blood test to be sure because I'd read they're more accurate than urine home pregnancy tests, especially if you drink inconsistently or test at different times of the day like I've been doing, and she said blood tests are "necessarily" more sensitive or accurate, and that they normally don't do blood tests this early. Since my partner had told me to insist on a blood test and not take no for answer, I said I wanted a blood test anyway and she said okay (but made it pretty clear that she was just indulging me and at this point she was starting to sound quite patronising as well. In fact, she commented that she could see I have a diagnosis of bipolar and suggested I book an appointment to come talk to one of the doctors about my mood at some point soon, basically insinuating that I was acting crazy - or at least that's how I took it at the time, although I'm sure she meant well...) 

I went home and had a cry, feeling very disheartened about the whole thing. But I decided to do a clear blue digital that I'd been saving for when the tests on the other test got darker, and depending on the result I would decide whether to go do the blood test or wait. The result came up "Pregnant 1-2" and I broke down crying again, because I felt so overwhelmed. I couldn't even be happy about it, because the GP sounded so sure that it wouldn't stick. 

That was yesterday and this morning I woke up to discover that I'd bled through my underwear and my bbt had dipped down to coverline as well. I felt gutted to say the least. But then I stopped bleeding and now I don't know what to think or feel. I've been been spotting brown and pink all day when I've gone to the toilet, but no bleeding since last night which can only have been for a couple of hours. But I have had some mild cramps all day and I feel exhausted and almost feverish...

I realise this was a really long-winded post... I guess I'm not looking for false hope so much as information, if anyone here has experienced an early loss/chemical pregnancy around 5 weeks, what should I expect? Was that it? Will there be more (bleeding/cramping/etc)? Should I do another clear blue in the morning to confirm? When is my cycle going to be bad to normal? 

Replies

• Hi. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I had quite a few positives before af was due then started bleeding when I would have been 5 and half weeks 
  • @Lucky7188 yeah that's what happened to me - sucks doesn't it? But it seems it's over now, so at least I can move on and focus on next cycle. I didn't know what to expect, if it would get really bad (the bleeding and cramps and stuff) so I was mostly worried about that. But it was just like a normal period (apart from the emotional rollercoaster from Hell, obviously...) good luck for your next cycle! x
  • Hi, I'm so sorry u are going through this...  It's just my personal experience and everyone is different. I always bleed when my hcg drops near zero. If u had a positive digital and then bled for a day, there is hope.  I think u should fight for it. Wait for results ask for second blood test to see if hcg is increasing or not. It's a bit early for a scan, but in a week it could Be done. In the meantime maybe try another pregnancy test. You need to keep in mind that there is always that minor chance of ectopic. So protect urself don't let them ignore you. Every bleed in pregnancy should be checked, especially if it was heavy. Did u have any clots? Also do not let them classify it as a late period. It's crucial that the pregnancy is in ur file. U can always write to me in priv if u wish, I'm happy to help if I can.
  • @MadDoda saidmake sure it will be in your fines.... You know you pregnant and if something will go wrong in yourl files should be that you experienced mc.... 
    For now stay strong its not I g really you can do 
  • Hey, I didn't see your replies before now @MadDoda @Sigsauer I've been staying away from the forums, been really depressed about things (long story but miscarriage and relationship-related, as I'm sure you could have guessed!)

The reason I'm back is because I'm experiencing something really weird... I never did have my blood test, the doctor gave me the form and stuff to go and have it done if I wanted, but since I started bleeding the next day I never went. However, I did another CB digital (the day before the bleed it said "Pregnant 1-2") and it said "Not Pregnant", so I definitely had an early MC.

The thing is, I'm now having the same kind of dull cramps in the centre of my lower abdomen, same as I had just before my bleed, milder than menstrual cramps and also different from ovulation pain because it's right in the centre and persistent, continuous and dull rather than little "stabs"... I have had another bleed since my MC, although it was mostly brown spotting with the exception of a tiny bit of fresh blood for about an hour or two before it was back to pink and brown spotting, that was a week ago, but my bbt is really low and I've barely had any sex at all since MC, so timing wise it's impossible for me to have got pregnant again, yet or the past few days I've been feeling like I did before, the cramps, the moodiness, loss of appetite, tiredness and mild nausea.

Apart from the cramps, I wouldn't think anything of it, because it could all be depression and other cycle-related hormones. These cramps and the muscle memory of the two weeks of being pregnant and excited about the future are driving me insane... I'm so fed up with everything. I'm so unhappy. I know there's nothing to say, no way to help me, and I'm not really expecting anyone to answer, I just needed to vent I suppose.. I'm a bit alone in all of this. Anyway, thanks ladies. xx
  • It sounds like ovulation. You may experience everything differently than before, u can't compare anything from after mc to before I'm afraid. It also could be some chunks of CM causing cramps or there is some tissue retained and it will be removed with af.

Only thing u can do is to track bbt, coz even opk may not help u first cycle after mc. I'm so sorry it's so hard, u can pop me a msg any time. 

• Thanks @MadDoda I appreciate it xx
  • I totally understand how u feel. I just had my 5th and 4th in a row. And I think I developed a ptsd... This is no fun at all, but u will be fine , I'm sure!
  • I'm so sorry to hear that! :( I'm so impressed with you for powering on though, I've had one (possible two in a row, if that squinter was real) and I'm a complete wreck! I don't know if I can go through all this again!
  • I hope u will not have to experience that again. Not long and u will get ur rainbow baby.