Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Pregnancy tests

Sorry guys but i really need a rant!!! So my life story in one long paragraph... Took me 9 years to conceive with my baby boy who i call my miracle baby amazing pregnancy all the way through. I gave birth in June 2018 then in the september 2018 i found out i was pregnant again. I was all over the place thinking omg how am i going survive this well on 19th sept i miscarried.

Fast forward to 7th september 2020 i realise my period was late so i brought a pk of £1 tests from my place of work got home did one and a faint line appeared which meant positive but very faint so My partner came home from work and brought a clearblue digital one which i did that night too which said 1-2 weeks left it 2 days did the other cheap one to see if the line got darker but to me it was fainter so the following morning i did another clearblue digital which still said 1-2 by this time i had being spotting for a few days. I assumed it was the inplantation. So 2 days later i walked the shop in the morning brought yet another clearblue test this one was just the basic cross if positive line if negative and again this was positive.  That night i started bleeding heavy (no clots) just brighy red. I lasted through the night took my baby nursery the following day then went straight up the hospital to sit there do a urine sample and have bloods done to be told 5hrs later to go home cause im not pregnant  Has my urine sample and bloods came back negative and its my hormones and im just having a period!!! I said i did 3 different types of tests on different days and he said my hormones must of being off and to go home and if bleeding continues in 2 weeks then go back and visit my dr he will send them a letter to comfirm whats being said today!!!!

All i did was cry all the way home i feel like the dr thought i was lying!!!!

Sorry for the rant but can 3 different tests on different days really give false positive results? 

Replies

• Options
    I'm sorry you're going through this, it sounds like a really tough situation.

I think the doctor you spoke to at the hospital has been quite uncaring in their treatment of you and hasn't explained what may have happened. The likelihood is that you were pregnant which is why you had positive tests. Unfortunately when you saw a lack of line progression and then started bleeding it was most likely a very early miscarriage. Sometimes these are referred to as a chemical pregnancy. 

By the time you went to the hospital, your HCG levels will have dropped enough for the tests to be negative or the doctors will have worked out your dates and decided that based on your HCG levels, gestation and the amount of bleeding the pregnancy was unlikely to be viable. It also was too early for them to do any other tests (like an ultrasound) to check on the baby.

In these situations, it is normal for you to be told to keep an eye on the bleeding and test again a week or two later. By that time your tests will almost certainly be negative. If for some reason your tests remain positive in a week or two then it will be important to speak to your GP because you'll probably need further investigations.

I'm really sorry you're going through this and the hospital doctor didn't treat you with a bit more care.
  • Options
    I just feel awful i keep hearing them words just ur hormones. I know im very lucky to have my son i never thought it would happen in 10yrs i never even conceived once but then all of a sudden in 2 yrs ive had 1 baby and 2 m/c. I really wanted another baby. I was so happy. I feel like my world has crashed doen beside me. 

The dr made me feel like i was lying. Ive woken up this morning taking it all in thinking was i actually pregnant or because i wanted it so much was i seeing things. Then i remember the latest test stick was in the bathroom bin and that still says positive i definitely didnt mis read it. 

I feel like i cant talk to my partner has he already has 2 girls with his ex so he already has his 3 children. And yes i love them like they are my own but they still have to leave me and go home to their mum and i know that sounds so selfish of me but all i actually want is my OWN family 2 kids husband and wife.