Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Please help with questions for consultant appt. on Monday.

HI girls

I have a follow up appointment at the hospital on Monday. I wonder if you can help me with my list of questions for the consultant. I doubt I will have another opportunity to ask my questions so I want to try to make sure I remember everything!

My list of questions so far:

When can we start ttc again? (For his sake he had better say "now"!!!)
What early support can I expect once I am pregnant - eg early scans/midwife support? How many scans and how frequently? How far into the pregnancy will the support be given?
If I need to go straight to the EPU, how do I contact them and what are their opening hours? (I wasn't even aware that Reading HAD one until I ended up in it)
What should I do if I have a problem (ie a bleed/cramping) at the weekend? (I ask this one cos the weekend before we knew I had mmc I had a bit of spotting/cramping and spent 48 hours trying desperately to get various medical professionals to give a sh*t.)
What other things can I do to try to avoid another mc? (I am thinking specifically here of taking baby aspirin or a higher dose folic acid)

Can anyone think of any I have missed? I would really appreciate your help - I've got to a point where I can't think of any others but am a bit worried that maybe there is something glaringly obvious that I have missed!

Thanks again - hope you all have a lovely relaxing weekend.

xxxSara

Replies

• You're in Reading, too?!

Did you go to the EPU at RBH? I had a small bleed at 7.5 weeks when I was pg, I couldn't go without a GP referral. When I had a bigger bleed and thought I was miscarrying they were happy to take me straight away.

Incidentally, this happened out of hours and there's a ward next to the EPU which takes over the work of the EPU at night, so they are actually able to deal with early pregnancy patients 24/7 (I went in about 8.30pm on a Thursday)

Here's the details for the Reading EPU:
    Clinic Times: 08:00-20:00 (Out of Hours - Gynae ward), Tel: 0118 3227181

Don't know if that helped any. I would probably warn you that they'll say they can't do much to prevent another miscariage when you do get pg again, but will tell you that you're no more likely to miscarry.

I didn't get any kind of follow up appointment. I felt okay about that at the time but I just feel a bit like I've been badly treated image
  • oooh if you don't feel too awkward asking, can you ask about sex please?! We bd'd after bfp last time, but did get red cm afterwards twice before the MC. And lots of the ladies in pg after MC say they're not bd'ing at all. Could you ask consultant if they think that is safest for us who've MC'd to abstain next time?
  • Hi Moonandstars - that looks pretty comprehensive. You could ask if they think it was a genetic problem. I asked at my appt but there wasn't one. Good luck with it all.
    Xxx
  • They can do bloods to determine if you need baby aspirin or if there is a genetic problem you both have bloods done for kartotype. Is it a fertility cons appt for mc or a floow up from your last mc?? If the 1st they will do all these tests as standard xxx
  • ooohhh gems you took the words right out of my mouth! i had a bit of off coloured cm after BD'ing, but kinda straight away so it could've been a bit of blood with hubby swimmers... my GP said there was nothing to worry about!!!! but i've always wondered!!! - i've already told hubby that next time we can BD but only gentle and not v often until 12 weeks!!!! Good luck hun! xx
  • Thanks guys!

Thanks for the advice and contact info Beccarroo - I only got a scan at the epu because I got very stroppy with the out of hours doctor - I phoned him on the Saturday (I just KNEW! something was wrong) and he wanted me to wait for my official dating scan which was on the following Wednesday - 4 whole days away! So I had to beg him to get me a scan booked for the Monday.

No idea why I have suddenly got this follow up appointment - I'm a bit wary that they will try to rush me through it, hence why I am going prepared. I won't be leaving until I have had all my questions answered! I know they can't guarantee that I won'y mc again, but I just want to make sure that there isn't something obvious that I should/shouldn't be doing, that I don;t know about. It's a bit rubbish that you haven;t heard anything, but then it is almost 2 months since my mmc, so they clearly don't feel any need to rush!

Gemgems - good question! I will deffo ask it cos I have found varying advice - some books say to abstain completely, others say that sex has nothing to do with whether or not you mc.

And Laujai - it's an appointment to follow up after the erpc. Do you think they would do blood tests for me, or would they laugh me out of the office?

Great suggestions girls - any others???
  • how'd your appt. go moonandstars? i am also wondering the answer to the sex question.
  • Hope today goes good for you hun! update us! xx
  • Hi girls - appointment is at 11.40 - I'll update you as soon as I get home!