Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Just when you think it's safe to go back in the water.....

...your mother in law comes to visit and spends three days banging on about your sister in laws pregnancy, and how "marvellous" it will be to have another little baby in the family.

Just how insensitive can one woman be? Did she not see that tears were welling up in my eyes as she went on and on about how they are going to find out the sex, and how much my niece is looking forward to being a big sister?

Honestly, I thought she was stupid, but not THIS stupid.

:evil:

Replies

• Ah moonandstars thats awful. How insensitive can she be!!

Just try and keep your chin up. Was your husband there? He should tell her to keep her trap shut!! Hope your ok.
  • No, hubby wasn't there, she saved the insensitivity for when we were shopping! I'm not going to tell him though cos he had a fantastic time with his parents so I don;t want to spoil it for him. I was upset at the time, just really angry now!!
  • Oh M&S, sounds very similar to my MIL. We always hear "what a joy" our nephew is and every woman who's pregnant in a 10 mile radius-we hear all about it. We hear "well he is my ONLY grandchild" Oh I do apologise that I lost my baby how very frigging careless of me!

At Christmas I had "well glad to see you're over IT" to which I curtly responded "physically maybe but emotionally I'll never really get over losing our baby".

I just don't know what it wrong with these people, it's like rubbing salt in to a very painful wound. I don't think my MIL does it at all maliciously but I do often think it would be great if she could think before she spoke at times!

The sad thing is that when we do have our babies thing like this do tend to make you even more protective about letting these folk too closely involved in your life.

I fully feel your pain! x x x
  • Oh Mafia how rude is your mil!

Mine does this really annoying thing. She will ask how I am feeling, then without taking a breath change the subject - without actually giving me chance to tell her how I am feeling! Not that I would say anything other than "fine" to her, as she is a right cow.

No idea how far gone sil is, but she must be around or about 12 weeks. Not sure how long I am going to be able to avoid talking babies with the outlaws. GRRR!
  • OMFG how rude... I used to think my MIL was bad but she's never said anything like that! She did assume DD2 and our recent mc were unplanned (they weren't) and she rang on Xmas Day (mc 23rd, scan to confirm Xmas Eve so we didn't tell anyone straight away) and she said how are you and I just sobbed! She was nice then said 'and you really wanted this one didn't you?' How odd... like we never wanted the others!

We're the ones giving her grandchildren tho as SIL is not planning any til after she gets married next year! In fact when we told SIL we were expecting she was so grateful that we'd get MIL off her back for a bit!!

• oh no, thats really rubbish hun! but very big of you to keep quiet! i wouldn't of been able to!!!! xxx
  • MIL's what is it with them eh & it's always you & poor MP that get the headache!!

I would just change the subject before she finishes her sentance like she does with you when she's banging on!!! xxx

• OMG. That's terrible! How insensitive can one person be?
    I've managed to avoid MIL so far but know it's only a matter of time before I have to see her and listen to similiar rubbish.
    I feel for you, I really do.
    Stupid woman.
    xx
  • oh no thats awful - Im so sorry , some people are such thick t*&ts !!!

I echo what opalfruit says - STUPID WOMAN!!!!

x x x
  • Some people are soo insensitive! I c=got really upset over the weekend when my MUM said twice to me 'well when you are a mum you will understand' in relation to a conversation I was having with her about my twin sister and her daughter! I had to put the phone down as I was in tears and she did not even notice!!!! My Aunt (always known for her insensitivity) asked me if I was sure I hadn't used any harmful chemicals at work (I am a Science teacher) that would have caused my baby to die! Then at school today a pupil (who does not know) said to me Miss you would make a great Mum have you thought about having babies??' Had to leave the room with a lie about dust in my eye for a few mins to sort myself out! People really do not understand do they unless they have been there themselves (although my mum has!)
  • Aww thanks guys, glad it's not just me that thinks she is out of order.

Laujai I do this thing now when she starts talking rubbish. I just go really quiet and wait until she runs out of words. When I do it she starts getting flustered and it makes her stop really quickly!

And opalfruit, I could be on the GB 2012 Olympic MIL Avoiding Team!