Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Possibly ectopic - bit upset

Hi girls,
I've had 3 blood tests now (following my miscarriage at 5 weeks) and although my hormone levels are dropping, theyre not dropping fast enough. The midwife phoned and said that she wants me to go in a week today for another blood test because the consultant looked at my scan and said she thinks I've had an ectopic pregnancy but my body is sorting itself out after it thats why the hormone levels aren't dropping fast enough.
I'm a bit upset actually - it took me 14 months to get here and not even my miscarriage is straightforward. I've read that if it's happened once (ectopic) youre more likely for it to happen again. I've lost all my PMA and starting to think that's it never going to happen for me and even if it does then I've got the added worry of it being ectopic.
I've feel so emotionally drained, it all seems such an uphill struggle and I'm not sure if I'm strong enough for it all, even though having a family is all I want.
Has anyone else here had an ectopic pregnancy and gone on to conceive?
Sorry for being miserable, I'm just feeling fed up. Must be the pregnancy hormone that are still in me.
xx

Replies

• Aww Skye hunny, sorry to hear that. Im afraid I dont know much about ectopics, nor anyone who has had one.

You must be feeling so frustrated and upset at the moment. As you say, to be facing mc and possible ectopic after a 14mth wait for you bfp is devastating. But please dont give up hope. At the moment you are feeling raw, hormones are flying all over the place, and of course you feel blue and like its never going to happen for you.

Give yourself a chance to recover and grieve for your lost little bean. Take your time for your body to recover. It will happen for you hun, you will get your family.

Talk to your doctor, midwife or consultant about what the future consequences might be if it is ectopic (and at the moment its not definate). Hopefully they will be able to reasure you. Just as one mc doesnt mean other pg's will follow the same course, then hopefully they can reassure you that if it is ectopic then any future pg's wont necessarily be.

There maybe something they can do to 'flush' your tubes or something if it does turn out to be ectopic? Just to clear them or something.

Im sorry Im not much help, but you just sound so down and are having such a rough time that I just wanted to let you know Im thinking of you hun. Take care, and please dont give up hope xxxx

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/0;1;10719;29/st/20080828/l/26/dt/5/k/9aed/ttc.png

• Thanks for your lovely reply, it really helped.
    I feel a bit more upbeat today, every day that goes by from now on is a day closer to me getting back to normal. I'm going to write some questions down for when I see the midwife and hopefully by Monday my hormone levels will have dropped enough for me to draw a line under the whole thing and start ttc again.
    I'll get my family eventually I'm sure. I just love my husband so much, I want it for us both, he'll make a great dad.
    Thanks again for your support xxx
  • Hi Skye

Hope you don't mind me asking, but I just wondered how you got on with your situation?

Just that I had an ectopic back in July and was operated on and they took my right tube away. Got married 3 weeks ago on Saturday so been busy and occupied uptil now but all I can think about is this happening again. Esp as they told me that I couldn't of even been pregnant as I had a period, said it was in my left tube, when I come round from surgery it turned out to be my right tube.

Me and hubby want to try again now but I keep having thoughts of it happening again

xx
  • Hi Nic,

Course I don't mind you asking.
    I went back a week later (after being told it was possibly ectopic) and had a blood test and my hcg levels were down to 31 which was low enough for them not to take it any further. They said to do another pg test in ten days which I did and it was negative.
    5 weeks after my miscarriage started I got my first period so now I feel I'm back to normal.
    When they first scanned me during my my miscarriage, there was nothing in my womb but there was an unexplained dark patch by my ovary which is why they came to the conclusion that it was possibly ectopic. It seems that the embryo just naturally died before it got to the stage where it was dangerous to my tubes. My body was dealing with it and it explained why the hcg levels weren't dropping fast enough.
    I'm really sorry that you had an ectopic and lost your tube, my situation didn't come to that and it could have been a lot worse for me so I feel I shouldn't be complaining.
    Congratulations on getting married by the way!
    I still worry about it happening again but the only way to know for sure is getting pregnant again and getting to the 12 week mark. I think your chance is slightly higher of it happening again but theres much more chance that it won't happen so I'm trying to focus on that.
    You can still get pregnant with one tube and they'll monitor you more closely with your next pregnancy.
    We've started trying again now my first period is over with so fingers crossed. Only start trying when your ready, if you feel you want to go for it then do, just take it one day at a time and let the doctor know your history.
    Take care xx