Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

Had a call yesterday from a midwife!

Had a voicemail actually enquiring why I hadn't attended my 10 week booking in appt.

I had my mc nearly 3 weeks ago now and I had been in hospital to EPAU so they should have known about it!

Luckily I was in a reasonable from of mind (so i didnt drive down to the surgery wailing like a mad woman)
When I called back and explained she was very apologetic and said it often happens - not women having mc but there being bad communication between EPAU and GP and MW.
I think this is apalling!
I consider myself lucky in some respects as I was 'only' 7ish weeks and was aware i would have nat. mc after having tests and scan at hospital a week before, this has made the situation easier to deal with - although obv at the time i was devastated and things do still upset me. So I didnt find her call too traumatising but i know for others it would be and the mw knows its a common occurence!

It made me more angry thinking of all the other people it had happened to!

Sorry to ramble!

Replies

• It happened to me too! and my GP didn't even know I'd had an ERPC - Discharge letters never sent - Shocking!

I wrote and complained about LOADS of things, my experience from start to finish was so bad (it's a long story, you'd have to click on 'My other topics' under my avatar to see my old posts).

Anyway, when I mentioned consulting legal professionals about medical negligence, I soon got their attention! and in the end I got a 3 page apology and report following an investigation into my complaints! Didn't make it better for me, but I hoped it made a difference for future ladies! xxx

Now I'm rambling too!! image xxxx
  • Oh my god thats an awful call for you to have to have dealt with. You'd think they'd realise that if a women didn't turn up for her appt then there's a chance she's mc'd and they should check before calling. There's so much insensitivity it drives me mad.My EPAC lost my notes and have only just sent my discharge letter to my doctor (I had my op on 27th Apr), plus I asked them to keep my scan picture as I was in no frame of mind to know what I wanted to do with it, when I asked last week if my husband could have it they said they weren't sure this was allowed. What?!

It's very annoying and they should be a lot more sensitive, especially in their job.

Hope you're ok xx
  • I had to take my own discharge letter to my doctors after my last scan to make sure everything had gone. A&E treated me like a chocolate bar on a production line. I weren't treated with anymore compassion than those with sprained wrists. They left me to sit in a packed waiting room in tears, rocking back and forth in pain!

My experience was terrible and it's terrible that this seems to be happening quite frequently. Something needs to be done about the treatment of ladies like us when our hearts our breaking as well as the physical pain!
    Xx
  • I cant believe how many people this has happened to and much worse in some cases!

I was waiting for int. scan from 7.30 till 3.30! And I was an 'emergency' patient. Was the most tiring and emotionally draining day ever!
  • I had something similar happen to me although not involving the midwife.

Basically, at 5 weeks pregnant I started bleeding and cramping so my hubby rushed me down to the doctors who saw me immediately. The doctor prodded and poked me and told us that miscarriage was very common but she would send me to EPAU to gt checked out. It was confirmed at the hospital tha I'd miscarried image Anyway, I went to see the doctor about something else about 2 months later and when I walked in she said "How are you? How far along are you now?" I looked confused and then, seeing my puzzled/upset face, she looked at my notes and saw that my pregnancy had ended. She did seem fairly embarrassed but I was mortified. I was at that stage where every reference to the miscarriage ended with me descending into tears and I spent the entire appt desperately trying to fight back tears. These NHS people are so insensitive it is frightening! Maybe they are all secretly robots!
  • I had a mmc at 13 weeks and had a D&C but they obviously did not tell anyone like they said they would. On my 2nd wedding anniversary I had a phone call from my midwife asking me if I realised that scans and midwife appointments were the first stages of motherhood and I had missed two!!! As you can imagine I was livid as I had tried to be positive as hubby had organised lovely meal out and my mood was spoilt!
  • It happened to me to the day after my mmc was confirmed after I rang the GP Practice myself and asked the receptionist to cancel the appointment - I was fuming!

I actually made a formal complaint about our EPAU clinic due to insensitive staff and there awful manor!

The poor MW was mortified that the message hadnt been passed on and I ended up in floods of tears on the phone.

BeanCatcher - love the comment about NHS Staff being insensitive and being secretly robots! Made me laugh but I promise we aren't all like that (I work for the NHS) it's just lack of communication and people being to bloody idle to do there job properly!
  • Opps! Double Post!

[Modified by: emmaelc on June 30, 2010 08:39 PM]