Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Can anyone help with questions following an ERPC?

Hello, following an MMC being picked up at our 12 week scan on Monday I had an ERPC yesterday. I have some questions and am not really sure who to ask - I wondered if anyone knew the answers or could point me in the right direction. I know I am probably jumping the gun but it bothers me that I don't know the answers to these - I don't think I took much in at the hosital.

- How long does it usually take for AF to arrive following an ERPC?
- When can I start ttc?
- When can I have a bath instead of a shower?
- Am I right in thinking that there is no ovulation until after first AF at earliest?

Sorry - obviously I won't be under midwife care anymore and I don't know if I should ask my gp or ring the hosptial. Can't seem to find any info on internet either

Would be grateful for any help.

Replies

• hya lottie+neve
    first of all i am very sorry for your loss!
    i know what its like it can be a mass of info in the hospial, i also had a MMC on 14th March and a D+C on 18th March it normally takes 4-6 weeks for AF (i only just founf this out from my own post), its normally best to at least wait for 1 AF before TTC again, me and DH are just taking the if it happens it happens and my body will decide when it will happen! i had a bath on the 2nd day after the op, no you can ovulate before AF ihave also heard you can be more fertile around this time although i not sure how true this is!! i have to admitt this site is brilliant for information and new friends no-one no's better that the ladies on here who have all experianced this first hand, i hope this helps a little!!! sambooxx
    xx
  • Hi Lottie and neve,
    I am so sorry again hope you are feeling alright following the erpc! Like yuo i found out at my 12 week scan that we had mmc at 9-10 weeks i remember feeling very shocked as i had not had any bad signs at all. I had similar questions to you and also hadn't been able to think of them when i was in the hospital so all i can say is how i have handled the aftermath. Nobody told me you couldn't have a bath though i kinda prefer showers so wasn't really an issue. I bled for about 3-4 weeks following the op not much near the end but was still brown blood *tmi sorry*. As far as my af it arrived last week so i think it was about 5 weeks after the erpc and we plan on trying again straight away as we were advised that once your af arrives it is fine to try again!
    Not sure if any of this will help answer your questions but wanted you to know i am thinking of you and sending all my love!!!
    Rena x
  • Thanks very much! Fingers crossed for you both.
  • Hello

I had similar questions to you too!

I am waiting for AF now but realise it may be some time yet as still ealry days for me. I had a bath the 2nd day as nobody told me not to and (tmi) it hurt a bit to wee the first two days so erm it was easier when I had a bath and do it just before getting out, don't worry I then had a shower too!! yuck

Anyhow they told me at hosptial that ideally a few cycles is best is for your body but then as soon as you've had first AF there is nothing to prevent you from ttc. But I guess its whatever you feel comfortable with, some people want to ttc right away??? Is there an easy answer to that? Personally I am waiting till after my AF comes and then going for it again. I didn't think that at first and now as time has gone by I just want to get on with it and make it happen!

I may be mad but I actually feel like I'm ovulating right now, I have very tender tummy just above pubic line and keep having pains in my right hand side, but hey who knows?

Anyhow I hope you are ok and I am thinking of you and wishing you well.

Love Lou xxx
  • Honestly I think you will know when you can ttc again. I had a d&c after my mmc and honestly I feel quite good and have done since about 3 or 4 days after it. I bounced back quite well but then my poor body is used to being pulled aorund like this this is my third miscarriage plus I have two kids so you can imagine my poor uterus is pretty much attuned to being treated like a revolving door. My d&c was on the 22nd of March and I would like to say we aren't trying again but honestly we aren't being very careful so I am just letting what happens happen and if we concieve again before my 6 week check then really I am not concerned as I do have proof I can go full term with a pregnancy I suppose that makes me more laid back. Also I trust my body to know what is right and I have been told if you are not healed enough to get pregnant you wont. It might be complete carp but I have always had this blind trust that my mind and body know what is right.
  • Hey hun, so sorry you are going through this.

I wasn't told to hold off from TTC although they said if we waited until after the first AF it's easier to date.

I bled for about a week afterwards although the bleeding was heavy for the first 24 hours then just spotting after that.

I had a bath the next day, we don't have a shower and I had all the surgical iodine all over me that I wanted to wash off and I slept for the first 24 hours so had one the next day. They didn't say not to so I think you are fine.

We started BDing about a week after, the bleeding had stopped and I felt fine although it was a little uncomfortable and he had to be very gentle.

Finally AF took 35 days to come and yes you do ovulate, lots of women get pregnant in the first month after a MC, I think its something to do with your cervix being more open and easier for swimmers to get through but thats just my theory.

I don't want to upset you but just prepare yourself for AF to be heavier and more uncomfortable than usual, mine are much worse since the erpc.

Hope you are doing as well as can be expected. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a sticky BFP for you soon.
  • Thanks, it all seems to be clearing up well at the moment and I am sure my hormone levels have dropped - I just feel more like myself if that makes sense?

I was worried about getting an infection so I have waited until tonight to have a bath and have been showering instead. It was soooo nice to have a lovely long bath.

Just really looking forward to putting this awful week behind us.

Hope you are all well.
  • hi lovey.

i had my ERPC on march 17th i bled for about 10days,because it was very painful and heavy towards end dr put me on antibiotics,we had sex 5 days after the op,OH took it slow and it wasnt uncomfortable at all,we used a condom,i actually started using my CBFM straightaway and i OV very early on day 10 (march 27)so wondering whether i will get AF soon. afetr i OV we stopped using protection as i found it hard to use protection as it felt like a kick in th teeth,when we had not been before,i went to discuss this with my dr who was very supportive and said if i was not ready i would not OV anyway as its the bodys way of protecting you.i didnt have any baths as i dont really like them.

much love and hugs xxxxxxClare
  • Clare I think its looking good for you - here's hoping your AF is just around the corner. I ordered some ov sticks last night and will start tracking soon. Am not going to use protection, I just can't - its hard enough not being able to control what has happened but to use condoms is something I just can't face. I know its probably part of the process but not doing anything is really hard at the moment - the only thing that makes me feel better about this is the thought of at some point getting another BFP.

Have got the doctors on Friday so will see what his view is on waiting for first AF.

The wedding must be pretty soon now? How is the dress?