Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

First pregnancy, first miscarraige

First a little bit about myself as Iam new to this forum...

on May 26th (nearly 3 weeks ago) I went for my very first dating scan, at 12+3 having fallen pregnant for the first time. What should have been the most exciting day of mine and my husband's life soon turned in to a nightmare as no heartbeat could be found for my little Smartie who was dated at no more than 9 weeks.

On May 28th I had an ERPC. Following this I bled quite heavily for approximately 4 days and then stopped completeley. About a week later I took a HPT which was still showing positive and then noticed spotting (nothing that could be described as a period) which just wont go away.

I'm really confused as I want to start trying again but want to wait for at least one cycle before doing so but until this spotting stops I dont know when that will be.....

Can anybody advise as Iam slowly going out of my mind and feel that my body is playing cruel tricks on me leading me to believe that Iam pregnant when I am not
:\?

[Modified by: Shelley5185 on 14 June 2010 14:31:08 ]

Replies

• Hiya Shelley - I can't really offer you advice - but can offer you the support of knowing there are other people going through the same thing - I was pregnant with my first pregnancy and had my dating scan on Tuesday 8th June, also thinking I was 12+ 3 as you did. I was told the baby was 9 weeks with no heart beat. I had my ERPC on Saturday morning - but like you am not sure when to try again - as I have seen things saying to wait at least 1 cycle as the uterus lining can be too thin to support another pregnancy straight away. But so much conflicting advice as others say only to wait for AF just for dating purposes.
    I am currently still bleeding as notes from hospital said don't have sex until bleeding has stopped to prevent infection. I have not done a test and don't really want to do one - were you advised to do one by your doctor/ midiwfe??
    Sorry more questions than answers! But hopefully we can support each other through this time
    Take care
    Sue x

[Modified by: sparkles1 on June 14, 2010 07:31 PM]

• Can i just say to both of you, sorry for your losses. I too lost my first pregnany but found out a bit sooner at 8 weeks that pip stopped growing at 6 weeks.
    I bled very heavily for 2 weeks, i was hospitalised due to the amount i was losing and then i had to have an ERPC as there was still tissue visable.
    I then bled for a week after that and then had first period 2.5 weeks later.
    I then fell pregnant again within 4 weeks of MC and i lost that too. I was told it was because my lining was too thin (as sparkles1 said) from the first MC as i got pregnant so soon.
    I didnt have to have the ERPC this time so i'm waiting for AF again (should be due next week) before we try again.
    It's a personal choice but since we've had the ERPCs I would wait.
    I'd hate for you to have to go through what i did; 2 pregnancy's and 2 mc's since April.
    Sorry for the long post
    xx
  • firstly i'm so sorry you've had to go through the same as me. i found i was pg in june last year and had 3 early scans that showed a lovely hb, at my 12 wk scan we were told our worst nightmare and our bean had died at about 8 wks. following the mc, i bled for about 10 days but was still geting a positive hpt almost 3 weeks later, though very faint, it can take a little time for your body to heal but i allowed myself that time to grieve and then mentally told myself that as soon as o was 'normal' i had to start looking forward. xxx
  • Hi hun. im so sorry for your loss, I went for my dating scan on the 28th May and found out like you that my little angel had stopped growing at 9 weeks with no heartbeat. I was devastated, that evening I started bleeding, it took 3 days of painful cramping and bleeding before my watersw broke on the sunday at 5pm and I was rushed to hospital with severe haemorroging (cant spell) I had a spontaneous miscarriage at this point.
    I bled for 4 days, then stopped for 3 and bled a bit more and have had a little spotting since then. However we have had 5 successful attempts to try again but only because the midwife said we could as I bled so much and she only had to remove a small amount of tissue.

take your time and see how you feel once the bleeding stops. you can catch immediately after MC and there is no evidence to say this is more dangerous than waiting.

hope this helps. oh and you have to have no bleeding for 20 days in a row to class the next bleed as AF.

good luck, if you need any support or just feel you need to chat just message us.

xx
  • Thanks for that I didn't realise that you needed to be bleed free for 20 days before counting next one as AF, at least now I can start to date myself

Thanks
  • Hi hun,

My stories a little different in that my mc wasn't missed, it happened naturally at 6 weeks. Just wanted to let you know that having spoken to lots of ladies who have been through this, more often than not mc tends to happen with the first pregnancy. I asked one of the nurses at work if this was the case and she says more often than not too but the subsequent pregnancies tend to be fine.

That kinda helped me a little, even though i'll still worry like mad when i fall pg again, chances are everything will be fine!

Hope you feel better soon hun
    xx