Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Don't Understand, need some answers.

hi, I'm 8 wks 2 days pregnant, went for an early scan yesterday as I have had 2 blighted ovums in one year. The scan showed I was 8wks 1 day (fetalpole)but they couldn't find a heartbeat. I did not have an internal scan. Can a pregnancy progress without a heartbeat? Did it mean the heartbeat stopped that day? So many unanswered questions. The person who did the scan said to my husband i could get a second opinion. The doctor wanted to book me straight in for a D&C but I have said no, When i asked if I could be re scanned in a week just to make sure, the doctor advised she did not know if this could be done. Am I wrong in wanting to make sure they have got it right, still have all my symtoms.Can a heartbeat always be seen at 8 weeks?

Replies

• Options
    Hi jinxie
    I don't blame you at all for wanting a second opinion - I think I would insist as there is no way I would let someone end my pregnancy if there was still uncertainty and still a chance my baby may be alive. I think it is awful they wouldn't book you in for a rescan and wanted to give D&C straight away as you all were not completly sure of situation.
    I heard that you can only detect HB from 7 or 8 weeks but don't know how true that is and if it can be detected earlier of if it varies person to person. I think 4 weeks, 8 weeks and 12 weeks are the most dangerous and higher chance of miscarriage but can't imagine it can progress without the HB.
    Don't know what to say to make you feel any better - I have my fingers crossed for you though. What is happening now? Do you have another appointment booked for a review and other tests?
  • Options
    Thank you,

I will book an app to see my GP this week. My pregnancy symtoms are still strong, sore boobs and sickness. We are just in limbo, I wish my fantastic husband would not build his hopes up.
  • Options
    jinxie, A HB is should visible between 6-7 wks so if you bean is 8+1 they should be able to see it, if your baby is measuring correctly there are a number of reasons the HB may not be seen - quality of the equipment, tilted uterus etc. it would seem very strange that the HB stopped that very day! Take a look at this site:

http://www.misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com/

I hope the site helps you and I would highly recommend you seek another opinion and wait at least a week and have another US to see what is happening.

Good luck I hope all is ok pet.x

• Options
    Hi Hun. I know exactly what your going through this weekend as the same happened to me on 28th may this year. Unfortunately I was advised that a heartbeat can be detected from 6mm fetal pole. I wanted to wait and was advised to be rescanned but my baby was measuring 23.4mm I started to miscarry that evening. A pregnancy with no heartbeat can't progress Hun unless the baby was to small to be seen. I hope you get the result you want Hun from a rescan. Normally the baby either doesnot develop a heart or other organs can't form properly and the heart stops. Praying that this was just an error for you Hun. X