Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Recovery time after EPRC / Tablets

I had the op in november last year. Had a few hours of heavy bleeding, spotting for a few days and within 4 days it stopped all together. It did take a very long time to get en bfn though and af came 7.5 weeks after the op.

Replies

• Hi guys

I've never posted in this forum before and don't post that often on BE really, but would appreciate your advice or thoughts on something. Basically we had a scan on Thursday and were told that it looks like we've had a MMC. The midwife said that the pregnancy sac was the size we were expecting (10-11 weeks) but the foetus was very small (about 6 weeks). We've been told to go back to the hospital for another scan on Thursday next week - in case the baby has grown - but I really don't think this is likely as if we were only 6 weeks pregnant then those dates just match up with when we've BD/last AF etc.

I beleive that when they do the scan next week,if they can copnclude that it is definitely a MMC then we'll need to decide whether to take some tablets or go for the EPRC operation.

For anyone that has taken either the tablet or operation route, can you tell me how long it took you to recover and to stop bleeding?

At the moment things that I've read indicate that you can bleeding for a few weeks with the tablets, but I can't find anything to say whether you bleeed after the operation or not.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

x x

• I had the op in apr and I bled for over 3 weeks, at first it was very heavy, light for a few days and then very heavy again. Everyone's different and i've always had heavy periods and when I had the op I was 11+6 so that might be why i bled for so long. I then had my first af 5 weeks later.

I hope you do get good news when you go for your next scan xx

• Hi Rocky road...
    I found out that my baby had no heartbeat at my first scan when I should have been 12+3. They sized the baby at 9 weeks so they offered me an internal examination to see is that would pick up the heartbeat.. It didn't.
    I was offered the choice to wait for nature to take its course but I opted for the ERPC. My scan was on a Wednesday and I was booked in at hospital on the Friday.
    I was in hospital for 07:00 and was taken to theatre at about 08:00 hours and was back on the word 45 mins later.
    When I came around from the aneasthetic I was groggy and could tell that I was bleeding heavily (The size of the sanitary towel between my legs also gave this away)
    Although I was bleeding heavily I felt no pain or discomfort from the op. I few hours later I had some quite bad cramps but no worse than my usual period pains.
    The bleeding was only heavy for about 3-4 days. The most frustrating thing for me was the spotting afterwards as it seemed to stop and start for weeks, even taking me by suprise after I thought it had stopped.
    It took me 3 weeks to get a BFP after the procedure as the pregnancy hormone takes a while to leave the body, and 5 weeks for AF to arrive.
    Now I'm on cycle day 8. This will be the first time that me and hubby are actually going to try again properly.
    It seems like a life time ago that I was pregnant and would have been 19 weeks today, but as they say time does make things easier and now I feel that my mind and body is ready to try again......

Try to stay positive, I have my fingers crossed for you

xxx
  • after my op i bled for about 5days, and my period came about 5wks after
  • Thanks guy, its really helpful to hear your experiences, and to know that OH and I are not alone, at a time when we feel so alone. Each day is getting easier, although I'm sure it'll be hard going back to the hospital this week. x x
  • I suffered MMC last week - should have been 11+1 but baby only measuring 7 weeks. Had light spotting before emergency scan but after we were told no heartbeat had bee found I started bleeding a lot more heavily. Am booked in for ERPC on Wednesday - I wa snot offered tablets but do not believe I will need op as this weekend has been horrendous with bleeding and pain so think it has happened naturally and will just need review and maybe scan when I go back in. I am still bleeding but not to the extent I have been. I know how you feel - going back to the hospital is going to be awfully hard.