Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What's the best you've had? (Bit of a rant! :evil: )

As in responses when people find out that you have had a mc/mmc/ectopic?

What I can think of so far is;

*at least you know you can get pg
*it wasn't the right time
*it's nature's way

AAARRRGGGHHH! Get over youself, AS IF anyone of that makes me feel better :evil:

Replies

• Options
    Oh Rainbow, you are so right!!! The one that gets me more than the others though is At least you know you can get pg!!! Yeah, it took 18 months, so thanks for that.

Thankfully it's been 4 months since my mc, so people have stopped commenting on it now, but I agree it can be very annoying!

Merry Christmas to all image
  • Options
    On the phone to hubby the other day my mil compared me to some 62 year old woman who had recently had a baby through IVF! WTF??
  • Options
    mum yesterday said I needed to stop worrying so much about when I'm ovulating and said the dreaded 'relax'. easy for her to say when she got pg with me and bro at the drop of a hat and sailed through both pg's. she only said it coz she's worried about me stressing myself out, but perhaps she could have thought better about how to phrase things!!
  • Options
    I have had the usual responses "it wasn't meant to be" etc but the worst was actually said to my friend following her mc a year ago, the doctor patted her shoulder and said "Ah well, better luck next time" It still makes my blood boil
  • Options
    "you know you can get pregnant" winds me up so much! NOT IN THE RIGHT PLACE I CAN'T!!

Also in there are:

"You now know what it's like to be a woman" I don't think my baby needed to die to know I was a woman!

"Using a laptop on my "lap" could have caused your ectopic pregnancy" That one caused serious tear/extreme anger

"There was obviously something wrong with it" Yes, "it" wasn't in my womb

"When are you trying for another baby" Would you say that the minutes someones child died-no

I could carry on and no doubt will after christmas when I have to hear my nanny's pearls of wisdom!

x x x

• Options
    Why can't people just say how sorry they are that that they're there if you're ready to talk?? I have had a few fantastic friends who have done just this. They have said they have felt that they have been no use but Just doing what they have has been a great help to me.

The senior partner at my work has been brilliant. He regularly comes up to me, gives me a gentle hug, asks me how I am and tells me it is all going to be alright and to give myself time to get over it. He did this last night at the christmas do when most people have assumed i'd been over it after 3 months. My dad on the other hand hasn't even mentioned the fact that I was even pregnant. x x x
  • Options
    People find it hard to find the right thing to say. I try and tell myself that the fact that they have tried to say anything at all shows they care. Its the people who knew I was pregnant and mced but have said nothing that really get to me.There were 3 of us in work who all had our due dates within the same week. Were like the "pregnant club". Now they won't even look me in the eye and avoid me like its catching! They don't know I am pregnant again yet but when they do, I don't want to be in their club!

[Modified by: faithie on December 20, 2009 09:30 AM]

• Options
    Congrats faithie! Hope you have a h&h 9 months xx
  • Options
    I had three miscarriages and people would say to me

"i know someone who had 5/10/a million miscarriages and then had a healthy baby"

Oh thats ok then!
  • Options
    I'm not sure whether it's a good idea for me to get started on this but......

'you wouldn't cry over a period would you' - last time I checked I didn't have to give birth to my dead baby with af

'well... It wasn't really a baby was it' -you want to see the pictures because SHE was v much a baby!

'there mustve been something wrong with it and you wouldn't have wanted that would you' - oh no I'm far too self absorbed for that!

'it's very common you know'- not at 20weeks and who cares!
    'well at least you have one already'
    'at least you know you can get pregnant' - oh ok i won't cry for my lost child then!
    'imagine how much worse it wouldve been if you'd gone to 40weeks etc' - yes that wouldve been horrible but so is this!
    'think of so and so who had such n such happen'
    'it's gods will'- I'd like to see your reaction if i said that to you the moment your child died!

There have been so many hurtful things said and I agree when people say nothing that hurts too.

My ils talked to my oh but never said a word to me (agreed in the beginning i couldn't face anyone and then oh forbid them from mentioning 'it') and then first time I saw them 'you've lost weight!' no sh!t, the last time they saw me I was 5mths pregnant, needless to say I broke down and said this (minus swearing) they still said nothing!!!!!!!!????

Aaaaaarrrrgggh no one will ever truly understand but I would like to think that should I need to offer support I'd think of better things to say than ALL the above????
  • Options
    Just remembered another
    'aw you were just unlucky' - pheweee and there I was thinking it was more than that
  • Options
    Dear God waiting4baby those are awful! I hate it when people say "oh well it would have been worse if........." I think they are TRYING to be nice, but actually I end up feeling like they are saying my loss isn't as valid as someone else's, and also hearing that story then makes me freak out that that might happen to me!
  • Options
    my mum told me to pull myself together and that "life goes on" 1 week after my MC. She also reeled off a load of names of people that she knows that have had MC's - as if that was going to help me at the time! When i told her that she had no idea what i was going through, she said "i have had 3 children you know" ????????

The anaesthetist that was taking me down to theatre for my ERPC asked me if i already had children, when i said that i have a son who is almost 2 (at the time) she said "ah, and that would have been a lovely age gap wouldn't it"!!!!!!

Honestly, what goes through some people's heads other than daylight!

Jodie xx
  • Options
    My MIL said "I was always lucky, and managed to have 5 children" that was just what I wanted to hear!