Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Im so angry!

Well ladies,

After waiting since may I finally got my reponse from the cheif exec at our local hospital re my complaint about how epau dealt with my mmc.

To say i'm annoyed is an understatement. They think its ok to leave a woman mmc in a&e for 4 hours because they have no beds on the ward (i didnt need to be admitted, I needed a flaming scan). They think its ok not to explain what a 'faint positive' means to sumone who at the time didnt have a clue what that meant. They think its ok for 'admin errors' to occur while documenting scans...which caused so much distress I can't even explain it! Im totally livid and to think if I get my bfp that is where I wanted to give birth....I THINK NOT!

All I got was a 'am really sorry for ur loss' but all this is standard practice and I will share ur concerns with epau! THANK U VERY MUCH. I pray to god no other woman has to go thru the crap I have at that HELL HOLE!

Rant over and sorry 4 complaining! Im off to calm down now

Replies

• hi hun

god know how you feel!! it happened twice to me! i started bleeding and they left me in epu for 41/2 hours when they told me that i would be seen straight away! everything was fine with bean although i lost a twin that i hadnt known about
    i then started bleeding a week and a half later. i was left in a+e for 4 hours before i was seen. i then had to go to a private hospital as they couldnt get me in and pay . i was then told my baby had died at 9 weeks. i then went back to a+e and waited a further 5 hours!!! to be told there were no beds available for d+c. 9 hours in total in one day!!!!! its appalling and im still upset at how i was treated! its so unfair isnt it!? xx
  • Its a dam disgrace! Im in two minds whether to reply or not. If id of bin a drunk with an injury id proberly bin cin quicker.i had my mmc in march and its took til now 2 get an answer.

U sound like u've had a horrendous time hun.hope ur ok x
  • I know exactly how you feel. I mmc'd a week ago and was admitted the the emerrgency unit for a scan and I started heavily bleeding whilst waiting to be seen. I was kept there for 5 hours. I could hear the receptionist discussing their holidays and new shoes whilst I was sat waiting for the slowest emergency department to tell me what the hell was going on. When they did tell me there was no heartbeat it was done in a very 'well it is very common' way. It was my first pregnancy and we were completely distressed - no empathy was given to us at all. We were put in a tiny stifully hot sympathy room for 40 minutes with no water waiting for a doctor to tell us next steps. On our return to hospital for review and scan prior to determining whether an ERPC was required we were kept waiting anout 3 hours. There was no sense of emergency or empathy at any point. I was not at all impresse dbut have not the strength to complain yet - I will tho as I do not want this happening ot anyone else.
  • Diamond - im so sorry for ur loss! Take care of urself and if u ever need any support the ladies on here are fabulous!

Dont think about complaining now...concentrate on greving 4 ur baby! It took me 6 wks to feel strong enuf and able to put it in writing!

Thinking of u hun x
  • My experience was terrible too, just waiting and waiting whilst crying in the waiting room!

I felt just like i was on a conveyor belt waiting to be moved along! It was horrible and lonely!

The nicest person i met (luckily) was the lady who did the last scan to make sure everything had gone. She was very sympathetic in her words and even her tone of voice and she took all the measurements ie. uterus lining that she needed very quickly and quietly and let us be alone for a minute to have a cry. She even arranged the next steps for me to take about getting a bfn etc. She seemed genuinely concerned with my health and wellbeing and she was lovely!

The rest were inconsiderate arseholes, suprising since most of them were women who were old enough to have had children themselves.

I think someone needs to raise awareness of mc, partcularly the emotional and physical effect it has on those involved. Although my mc was terrible, people's unsympathetic comments and so what attitude made it much more difficult!

I think it's great you've made a complaint and i would definately follow it up. If ic ould go back i would!
    xx
  • Hiya
    Im glad that you have complained and I think that you need to write again because this is still unacceptable.
    My experience wsa pretty poor too, we thought we were having ectopic because i was in so much pain on one side and went to emergency dept at 7.30am - then was sent to EPAU for 9am and waited for them to 'open'. I then was supposed to be an 'urgent' patient yet I wasn't scanned till 3pm. And then had to wait another hour for nurse to take bloods etc. The receptionist at the scanning desk was vile and basically blamed the emergency team for telling me I was an urgent case as I was not!!!! And i would have to wait till after the last booked scan. I think its terrible as you are sooo tired, emotional, hot and in pain yet you have to sit and wait with women who are having their 'happy' scans.

The iciing on the cake for me came a few weeks later when the midwife rang to see why i had missed my 10week appt.. Surely she would of had to look at my notes to find my telephone number??? It really is worrying.

• Hi Ladies,

I thought it was just me that had such poor treatment - I'm even more livid now, to no that it's not just happened to me, but it's happened to all of you too! :x

I think as it's such a sensitive subject people really don't know how to handle it and just deal with as they would any other medical situation which is totally wrong.

The more I read the letter I got the more annoyed I get. There are so many incorrect facts that it worries me - the letter states that I was given an internal examination in A&E, this really wasnt the case, blood was taken and a pregnancy test done but that was it! It concerns me a bit that my notes say such things.

I have decided I am going to respond to the letter but not entirely sure what to say yet, but I think there is a huge training issue where misscarriages are concerned and in this day and age it's not acceptable. The feeling I got when reading my letter that the hospital felt I was blaming them for what happened, but that really isnt the case, as awful as it was it was a natural thing that my body did and there was nothing me or them could do about it. However, they could of made things a bit easier by putting a few simple things in place.

MrsAllen - I also had the midwife on the phone to 'change my appointment' after ringing my GP to cancel it because I'd mmc'd, the poor woman got me on a bad day to and I couldnt get the words out for the tears. I do believe it was reported back to the Receptionist that it wasn't acceptable that the message wasn't passed on / appointment cancelled!

• The rest were inconsiderate arseholes, suprising since most of them were women who were old enough to have had children themselves.

I think someone needs to raise awareness of mc, partcularly the emotional and physical effect it has on those involved. Although my mc was terrible, people's unsympathetic comments and so what attitude made it much more difficult!

I think it's great you've made a complaint and i would definately follow it up. If ic ould go back i would!
    xx

Lady - I totally agree, the comments recieved from some people are just f*cking rediculous!

The nurse is A&E asked me what I was doing there - I'm 6 weeks pregnant, bleeding and in pain, what do you think I'm doing here is was I felt like screaming at her! The sonograph that broke the news that I'd misscarried said 'theres a gestional sac there but no baby. do you want to get your clothes back on now?'. What a way to find out I'd lost my baby. (the pathetic excuse I got for this was that the sonograph isn't part of the EPAU counselling service, if that's the case they need to get someone with at least half a flipping brain in there!)

There definately does need to be some awareness raised around mc and the emotional and physical side of things. People think you get over it, but you don't. My baby will always be at the back of my mind, I think about baby every day and it breaks my heart knowing that I won't even get to meet my precious child.

• I think you really need to get the emotion side over to them aswell emmalc as i think there is a real lack of it in the staff that are supposed to be supporting and caring for us.
    The way that we are felt to be treated like we are on a production line needs to be looked into. I would even say those words and maybe put how we appreciate the numbers of women they have to treat everyday and the tight budgets they have to do this, but the main role is to provide support and comfort to the families whose lives are being shattered at such devastating circumstances.

Let us know what you write, im sure we'll all help if we can!
    H x