Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

miscarriage advice

hi

sadly i had a miscarriage on saturday, i rang and spoke to the doctors and had to go down sat eve, talked thru it a bit and gave me some antibiotics as i had a temperature and sent me on my way. i appreciate that as it was my 1st PG (was approx 5 weeks) and 1st MC they dont tell you about support groups etc etc, but my question is how do i know if everything has passed naturally for definite?? i have read on here about people doing PG tests a week or so after and if its negative then all is ok?

I am devastated at the moment, as it was planned and i was very lucky to catch literally on the first night of trying so fingers crossed when we feel ready to start TTC again i will catch quickly (although i am sure this is not always the case).

just wanted to say too big hugs to everyone that has been thru/or going thru this and hope we all get lucky next time.

thanks for reading

xxx

Replies

• Hi luvvie

I am so sorry for your loss, and with regards to support there is the various organisations like the miscarriage association, but the best support/comfort that i have found is here. I swear i would have gone mad without the help of these lovely ladies with all their kind words.

With regards to knowing if everything has passed, i'm not sure as i had an ERPC after a missed miscarriage found at my 12 week scan. I bled for about 2 weeks after this proceedure, and i am sure the girls on here would be able to offer you a bit more advice than i can.

I know that it feels like nothing will make you feel better and this time of year always seems to make bad things seem worse, but it will get easier. If you ever need to get anything off your chest please come on here.

Take Care

Jodie xx
  • Hi Fids

So sorry you have had to go through this, you are definately in the right place for help and support as nearly all of us on here have gone through MC's recently. I know that its a devastating time, but you will get through it - time is a great healer, and like you said you can start to try again when you are ready.
    Do you have an early pregnancy unit at your local hospital? If you do, I would advise that you give them a call to explain what happened and they may want to get you in to scan you and check that everything has settled itself naturally. If you don't then you could try calling your GP, mine was super supportive when I had my MC so they will be able to give you advice from what to expect over the next few days/weeks to when you can start TTC again.
    I hope this helps you. I had a MMC (found out at scan that my baby's heart wasn't beating) and went into hospital for medical management on 10th October. We were told we could start trying straight away as the miscarriage had completed when I was in hospital, so we are currently TTC at the moment. AF came 36 or so days after the MC, so fingers crossed she doesn't show for around another 9 or so months!!!!!
    Big hugs, and look after yourself xx
  • Hi there

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. This was my first pregnancy too so I can empathise with how you must feel right now.

I would echo what the other ladies have said. You can't get better support than here, but if you want to talk face to face you could try your hospital as they often have miscarriage counselling services.

I had a mmc and erpc so I didn't miscarry naturally, so can't advise on that front, but you could try your local epu to see if they will scan you and take bloods (to ckeck for hCG), which would put your mind at rest. You are right about lots of ladies doing hpt's until they are negative - it's a way of taking control and it helped me to see light at the end of the tunnel.

Sending you come big internet cuddles.
    Saraxx
  • hello fids,sorry about your loss.i agree with the other ladies this group of ladies is wonderful! as far as how you know, i also had a d&c so i can't give you much advice. i would say that you should call your doc. and ask him how you would know. alot of docs. will do bloods to see if your hcg is continuing to drop. hope you find your answer *hugs*
  • I'm sorry to read of your loss too. I think you'll have abdominal pains and feel generally unwell if you haven't passed everything naturally.

On the plus side, I had a mmc with my 1st pg (caught straight away) then got pg straight away with my 2nd pg too, so fingers crossed you don't have a long wait next time.

Take care,

x
  • Hi Fids,

I also had a mc last week, and it was my 1st pg too. Mine passed naturally and tbh, I'm not sure how you can tell if it has all passed, I'm just taking it day by day. I've not done any pg tests since - I'm not sure I would cope with seeing a BFN or a BFP really.

I'll be honest, I have my OK days, and my not so great days and I suppose this is normal.

Sending you lots of hugs

xxxx