Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

bleeding after miscarriage

Hi ladies,

I had a missed miscarriage that was found at an 11 week scan. I had medical management for it 6 weeks ago and haven't stopped bleeding yet. I've had two lots of antibiotics in case there was an infection and now I'm on day 9 of a 10 day course of norethisterone to stop the bleeding and it hasn't worked!

Has anybody else bled for this long?

Thank you Xx

Replies

• hi

i had a missed miscarrage last september, found at the 12 week scan, had lost the baby at about 9 weeks they thought. we had the medically managed miscarrage because it was too much of a shock for the surgery and i felt it was a less horrific option. i continued to bleed for over 8 weeks, lots of bleeding too, so went back to doctors and was sent for ultra sound where it showed there was still some product left - about 1 cm squared in size. they left me for another 2 weeks thinking that it would sort itself out..... it didn't and i kept bleeding so i went back and asked for another ultra sound and then in the end i demanded the surgery because i wanted to get some closure on the whole thing and we wanted to try again. so had the surgery this time last year well over 2 months after we found out we had miscarried.

i would suggest asking for an ultra sound, as you will not stop bleeding until all the product is gone, no matter how small.

i hope this helps

carla x
  • Thanks Carla, did the surgery sort it out?
  • yes, think i went about a week after with little bleeding but that is the norm after a d and c.

because of the 2 months of bleeding i put up with, my iron levels were low so we were told to wait 3 months before TTC, so we waited til the new year and we now have a beautiful daughter, Isla, who is 3 weeks 5 days old.
  • i can't remember who it was, but someone in ttc after mc forum was mentioning bleeding for 3 months after mc today i think, if you look through the threads in there.
    g xx