Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby is due in June 2014

Had an inconclusive scan

Hi all. Apologies in advance if this is a bit of a downer post!

Had a bad tummy bug last week and didn't eat much for 4 days. Then started to feel much better on Saturday only to start spotting brown blood. It has never filled a pad or anywhere near it, but seems to always be there when I wipe.

Went to my GP - wouldn't have bothered normally but thought with being ill I'd better. He referred me to the EPU.

They gave me an internal scan yesterday afternoon. I thought I was 7+1 but the sonographer said she found a pregnancy sac but there is nothing in it. This is normal for around 6 weeks so she said I might have my dates wrong.

They all seemed fairly positive. They gave me a blood test and I'm to have another on wednesday to see what my hormone levels are.

Took a preg test when I got home and it was very positive still, silly I know.

I know I should be positive because Dr Google has shown me loads of threads where lots of people have been in the empty sac position. But I can't help thinking that I'm 7 weeks and it's just not growing.

Right on cue my boobs are less tender and I don't feel sick!

Sorry for the pity-post! image

Replies

• Sorry to hear this, its all such a worrying time. I was put back a week in early pregnancy even though i was fairly adamant i knew my dates. so dont give up hope yet. It could be that the sac isnt developing as it should or it could be that bean is just a bit of a late bloomer. Have they offered you another scan to confirm either way? X

• oh hun try to stay positive i know its hard.

ive had 6 pregnacies including this one and what ive learnt is they are all different.

my 1st ended in a mmc i didnt have a clue and was devestated.

my 2nd is now nearly ten!! i was sick all day every day had two bleeds and genrally felt very pg.

my third is now 7 and i didnt know i was pg for a fair few weeks as my 1st test was ng. but then along came the sickness and all was good except i went into labour at 35 weeks and then randomly stopped and walked around for 4 weeks 4cm dialated.

my 4th ended in anouther mmc but as my syptoms went i knew .

my 5th is now 3 due to my history i went for a early scan. was sure like you i was 8 weeks when they scaned me i got told there was a sac no pole and it was likely it was eptopic. they took my bloods and i went back 48 hours later had more done. was called that day to be told my hormones had changed but not enough and it was looking very certain it was eptopic two days later i went back for a scan and there she was in the right place. mesuring  about 7 weeks.

now this one i had lots of symptoms to start with then they stopped i panicked big time was convinced all had gone wrong. but a scan showed bun measuring small but there he/she was.

sorry for the massive post but i just want you to see how different pregnancies can be.

hope it helps 

xx

• Thank you Puddy, that's really cheered me up image

I'm really focussed on just getting to tomorrow and seeing what my hormones are doing - they said they'd ring me in the evening.

There is talk of another scan but I think they just make you one appointment at a time, so expecting to make one for that tomorrow. Got to say, having not had any other hospital contact other than having my son, I can't fault Sheffield's Gyne department. They were truely lovely yesterday. Very gentle and sensitive.

• Fingers crossed for you Peeweesmum, hope your just a bit behind dates wise and all is well with your little bean ... Have to admit I'm in Barnsley and am considering asking to go to Sheffield as had a bad time with Barnsley with dd but want to take my time on that decision - glad they are treating you well x
  • Let up know hun xx
  • the same happened to me yesterday. I was sure I was 6 weeks, went for a scan, they could see gestational and yolk, but no pole. It was so depressing. they said I could be only 5 weeks, but something tells me it is a blighed ovum, don't know why. My breasts are not that painful anymore, don't feel any symptoms, am I paranoid? I have another scan in two weeks time, I just want to know now if it's a miscarriage so I can get on with my life! this is torture.

• Well it seems my wait will be over tomorrow (hopefully). Initial bloods came back with raised hormone - 15000, second bloods had gone up but not doubled - 20000. Doctor said to go in tomorrow for another scan and more bloods.

I'm going backwards and forwards with it. Sometimes I'm really postive because I still feel pregnant and it could be nothing more than my dates are wrong. Other times, most of the time really, I'm expecting the worst because they didn't even see a yolk, just an empty sac. And my body would still think it's pregnant hence why I feel it and the hormones are high.

Ho hum, I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for your support x

• Good luck Hun x

• Hi,

I feel your pain.  I had an inconclusive scan 2 weeks ago but I knew my dates were off. (My LMP had been the start of a m/c) so although worrying I went in expecting it to be inconclusive.

We saw a yolk sac and main sac so they dated me 5+4 (I think yolk sacs are tricky to see and the earliest they reckon you safely see them is 5+4 but even then not always).  But today I was dated at 6+6 so I was only 4+6 last time.  Its not an exact science but the growth in that time is too much.

Don't worry about not seeing the yolk, it takes an experienced sonographer to see this before baby is visible and honestly mine was like a pin prick.  Equally don't worry about the hormones.  The 'doubling' is a guideline and the progression is different from woman to woman.

We decided going in that we wouldn't know prior to the scan so we decided to just assume it was fine until we heard otherwise.  'Knowing' the worst before getting bad news doesn't make it any better.  

Please let us know how you go today x

• Hi hun , just wanted to say good luck for the scan today, hope all goes well for you x x

• Good luck. Let us know

• Good luck for tomorrow Hun, hope it goes well x