Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby is due in June 2014
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

placenta

Hi girls , just an enquiry really , I would like to keep the afterbirth this time , as a few of you know we have had 2 mmc's n have a beautiful rose bush planted with the remains, it flowers beautifully , it is currently in a big pot but would like to keep the placenta n put it all together in the garden  , have any of you kept the placenta or received any objections to it ? I have had to stay in with all mine after the births for 1 reason or another though n wondered how it would be stored etc , would be great to hear from anyone with similair experiences , thanks x x 

Replies

• Hi. I think they freeze it.

It depends what you intend to do with it

But you can pay to have it ground into capsules which you take as tablets (replaces the iron and vitamins you lost) but I think it's expensive.

I am a bit squeamish about keeping it but equally r is an amazing organ which you have grown and has sustained your baby for 9 months. It's very special. Too special to just go In the bin.

Ask your midwife love. Then they can prepare.
  • Thanks hun , I can always count on you for sound advice  x have been reading up on it abit , think you can meet with some resistance , have to take your own storage etc , which would be fine if we leave soon after , or could give it to mil - she's planning on bringing up kiddies soon after the birth , they couldn't visit last time as hospital had virus n didn't allow anyone in , will check with midwife , n have consultant appointment Tues to discuss how things are going this time so may ask him too , bit worried they might think it's being a bit new age./ hippy like , but as you say it has sustained the little life inside me n I consider it very important , have asked to see it after every birth , n it is amazing , they are not very keen for you to see it so think I might get a few raised eyebrows !! let you know how we get on x x 

• To be honest I don't have a clue. A lady I did pregnancy yoga with had her baby last week and she kept her placenta without any resistance. She blended it into a smoothie and she said her milk had come in by day 2-3!

I guess the best option is to discuss it with your midwife beforehand and see what they suggest
  • Thanks hun , that sounds hopeful then , not sure about the smoothie image like the idea of replacing the nutrients though , think I could stomach capsules , but think we would rather bury it with the other 2 n see it nurture a tree or something , how are you doing - is the baba still breech ? got a while to get into final position though , good luck lovely x x