Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby is due in June 2014

paternity leave

Hi girls , just a quick question , has anyone had their baby early n if so have their partners been able to take leave straight away if they have given notice that the baby is due in say June , not saying I'm in labour or anything but just been wondering what would happen if this were to happen , has this happened to anyone ? thanks ladies x x 

Replies

• u can start pat leave before baby is due but not after so if baby comes early then pat leave kicks in automatically. I stopped work with my first at 36 weeks and had 4 weeks holiday, was due to start mat leave on my due date but she came 10 days early so my mat leave kicked in automatically then x

• Thanks hun , can always rely on you for sound advice , we were a week early last time n was a Friday when waters went , was born Sun eve , so just started paternity leave from the weekend , but got paid a weeks holiday n a weeks paternity , think we were a bit stitched up , gona be more on the ball this time ,.getting a bit excited now , but scared at the same time , sometimes I think ignorance is bliss  image x x 

• I didn't know about paternity leave not being able to start after the birth. A friend started a week after because his wife was in hospital with a premature baby so she needed him once they were home but he was self employed.

Seems a bit daft as I imagine a lot of couples it works better to have the dad longer from when you are at home and not wasting a week or more in the scbu. Not that us water but you know what I mean.image

We are arranging two weeks leave and two weeks holiday which DH has saved up.

Don't worry I'm sure these things happen all the time with babies arriving when they choose. image
  • I guess in special circumstances they can make allowances and if your self employed I think u pretty much do wot u want lol I know when Ian filled his forms in he had to give either a date before my due date or tick a box to say hed start on the day baby arrived. In the end he just told them the date of my c sec n started then x