Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby is due May 2014
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Consultant led care

Anyone got experience of having consultant led care and how it differs from mw led?

Replies

• Options

Hey I'm on consultant led and tbh it's no different really but I think it depends on the reason. I had a loop diathermy last jan so am on premature prevention, I had to go to a clinic at 17 weeks for urine and swab tests for STIs and bv, then again at 20 weeks for a full set of swabs for more STIs and group b strep and a scan to measure the length of my cervix. I'll go in again at 30 weeks for another internal scan but that's about it. This is my 2nd preg I'm 26+2 and only seen midwife twice despite being classed as high risk. I'll see her again at 29 weeks, then 34 then think it goes to every 2 weeks till I drop xx

• Options

Thanks LH86, sounds a bit stressful. My care isn't due to anything physical but because I had PND apparently ... I personally don't see the point and it would be much less stressful if I was just with the midwife, so it seems counter productive! Anyway guess it'll be what it'll be x

• Options

I guess they just want to keep a closer eye on us xx

• Options
    You may only see the consultant a few times, especially if it isn't for physical reasons.

Last time I was overweight and had shared care for that reason. I only saw the consultant once and he passed me back to the midwife as I was very healthy despite the fat.

This time I am under consultant care because my last birth was traumatic (4th degree tearing & blood loss/transfusions). MW said the consultant rates severity of patients for priority, and that determined how often & how early in pg you see them.

I have scan on 19th and then see consultant 27th. I don't expect to see him frequently but I will see him a few times to allow me to decide on natural vs c sec this time.

Don't worry, they'll just be keeping an extra eye on you xx
  • Options
    Hmm, I got the impression it was because of my PND but maybe the MW wasn't that clear and its more to do with my traumatic birth ... Dunno now, guess I'll find out more as I go along x