Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby is due May 2014
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

10.5 Weeks Pregnant…Exhausted …. Cant Sleep... Help!

So I am 10.5 weeks pregnant and I am really struggling to sleep. When I get home from work I am EXHAUSTED…. I go straight to bed when I get home and fall asleep for approximately 30 minutes… THEN …

I am up coughing and coughing and coughing… Both nostrils are blocked to the back of my throat (sorry TMI) and I literally feel like I am choking. The coughing goes on to the point that I feel like I am going to be sick. I’m coughing and blowing my nose for about 20 mins and then by that time I am wide awake!! 

This has been going on for 4-5 weeks now and the only way I can stop it is by sleeping sitting upright in a chair because my partner works nights and I am scared of choking in my sleep.

I mentioned it to my midwife and she said that it is common for ladies in early pregnancy to have a blocked nose and advised me to put eucalyptus under my nose but this hasn’t helped…. Any suggestions?  image

Replies

• Options

Oh no that sounds horrible ... You can use an isotonic seawater nasal spray called Sterimar ( you can get if from boots etc) and its quite good at clearing out your nasal passages, can't say it's as good as a standard decongestant but is safe to use in pregnancy and might offer some relief ... Other than that, eucalyptus, sitting in a steamy hot bathroom before bed, sleeping a bit more upright and maybe looking at homeopathic remedies would be my best advice ... Hope it's better soon x

• Options

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice! It worked! I can finally sleep! xx

• Options

Ooh might have to pick some of that up from town tomorrow. I've got sinusitis but doctors won't give me antibiotics to clear it and putting head over a bown of menthol steam is doing nothing for me x

• Options
    so glad it helped Shelley1345 image I had flu with my first so think I got a little pregnancy friendly armoury together to fight the congestion x