Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby is due May 2014
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

group B strep

Hi, just something I wanted to make you ladies aware of as I didn't know about group b strep in my first pregnancy until someone mentioned it in a forum like this. From reading the information I decided to do the private test at 36 weeks to see if I was a carrier and it came up positive. Given my waters broke a long time before I gave birth and others complications that posed a higher infection risk, had I not known about this and requested antibiotics I would've been at a very high risk of passing it in to my daughter which could've caused her to be seriously ill. So I'm massively thankful to the person who posted the info ... Have a look at the link, its a personal decision as to whether you do it etc but just wanted to put it out there from an awareness point of view x http://www.mumstuff.co.uk/acatalog/Group-B-Streptococcus-Screening-Test-Kit.html

Replies

• Agree with u hun it's not something that's regularly screened for but I think it should be. I've only had tests done as am on premature prevention due to previous cervical surgery and luckily all came back negative but it can be very dangerous for baby x

• We are lucky in Guernsey that the screening for this is offered as standard.

• Thank you for the info Teapot.  That is very useful, I had no idea!