Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby is due May 2014
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

labour

hi ladies thought id start a thread on labour and what concerns us ect. just thought it might be good to have a place to air and talk about our little or not so little worries as men dont get it lol.

even though this will be the 4th time ive done it im still worried about it. the pain is a distant memory but i still remember it hurts lol!! 

my other big worry is will i make it to hospital and will my oh make it to me?? my other 3 were fairly quick and the only thing that slowed my last one down was she was stuck!! genrally im ok unless my waters go.

ive been told by my consultant that i should have someone within 5 min of me to take me at all times but during the day thats near impossible my oh works a 2 hour bus ride away and even if someone brings him its still 40 min. and most people i know work during the day.

sorry for the long post.

xx

Replies

• Gosh! That could be a rush! Obviously you don't really want to be alone but will local taxi firms take you? I know some can be funny about it in case you deliver in their car.

I take it home birth is not an option if you are under consultant care? At least then it would be up to a midwife to make it to you on time. Hopefully baby will come at a convenient time so you don't have too much drama!

Personally, I'm not too worried at the minute (because I am choosing not to think about it). I had a bad time last time, and now that I've done some research on my options and think I'm decided I'm not thinking about it till I next see the consultant at 36 weeks to finalise plans. 

Had 4th degree tear last time and haemmorhage (sp?), I am not advised to have a completely natural birth this time as there is a high risk of repeat which would potentially cause permanent damage this time. At the minute I am favouring a deep episiotomy into pelvic fat layers as it will give quicker recovery then a c-sec... It is gruesome though when you know all the details - that's why I'm not thinking too much! image

• oh no that sounds painfull maybe not thinking is the best plan lol. im not really under consultant care although ive a open app with him i was refurred due to a lettz and a brow birth but hes not worried about me. i briefly considered home birth option but ive 3 older children and the logistics dont really work. also my oh wasnt happy with the idea even though his first was a home birth.

• Im 29 weeks pregnant with my first and the thought of going into labour now its getting closer just scares me!

Im a bit of a worrier so all sorts of things go through my head such as will the baby be ok when i delivery her? As theres so many adverts and news now adays that just scares me. Also will i be ok? I always watch one born and there seems to be a few women who have given birth and ended up bleeding loads after.

Im not going to have an ep as the thought of a needle going through spine just sounds scary and im normally not afraid of needles. So im worried if it will hurt loads and also will i need stitches down there.

Lol also i hope i have a nice delivery person x
  • im with you haliegh. the thought of a ep is worse than the thought of labour. ive been lucky with my labours i did need stitches with first 2 but not no3 and trust me if its not a really bad one you wont even notice them stitching because you will have your bundle 

xx

• I'm having a planned section this time as I was fairly traumatized by my first birth. Mainly because of pph. Anyone else lose a lot of blood but go on second time to have a planned section and not bleed as badly? Xx
  • i think my best friend bled alot after an emergency c sec i remember her being very amnemic after but after her elective c sec with her 2nd child she was fine xx

• I'm petrified this time around!  I got rushed back into hospital a week after Isla was born with a massive bleed and had to spend 3 days in hospital and had blood transfusion etc.  Not worried about the actual birth as that was the easy bit, it's afterwards that I'm worried about.  Everyone keeps telling me it will be fine as I will be monitored more closely this time etc and not to worry but that's easier said than done!!

Also Isla was a quick birth, I got to hospital at 2.30am, waters broke at 3.15 and she arrived at 4.00am so also slightly worried about making it to the hospital on time.  Plus also the added stress of when everything does kick off making sure Isla is cared for.  It was so much easier first time around, there was none of these worries.  People think it's easier second time because you've already been through it but personally I think it's easier not knowing!!

• have to say its a huge worry of mine getting there the road between hear and the hospital is having major road works and is backed up during the day!!! my oh doesnt drive so im having to use a nieghbour to drive me and her teenage son to sit with girls thats all fine as long as seren arrives at night and if its the weekend it has to be the one when her son is with her not his dad lol. and if its at night the road works wont be to busy!!! but if its during the week and day time i screwed lol

• I hope she comes according to plan Puddy - sounds like it will be tricky if she doesn't!

Somebody was talking to me about pregnancy & labour the other day and said she thinks we know too much now. It was an interesting thought - I suppose the less you know the less there is to worry about. But I'm as guilty as anyone about wanting to know everything! I am still avoiding putting too much thought into actual labour, but it's getting nearer & nearer and when I watched OBEM the other week and saw how helpless a man was when his partner was losing lots of blood etc I really felt for my husband as I hadn't realised how terrible it all must be from their perspective.

Lets hope we all have drama free births!

• I watched this weeks one born and i want mine to be like the first woman! Lol could feel the head when she got out the car got to the room and baby born with no drugs image

I doubt it will go like that though lol although i seen midwife yesterday. Im 32 weeks pregnant on Friday and she said baby is well down into birthing position and she doubt she will turn back round within these weeks with how low she is and that i should have a smooth labour! Fingers crossed!x
  • ive avioded watching as im worried it will make me more worried lol 

• Haha , I know what you mean , it's all I think about atm , feeling huge already , there are so many unknowns aren't there , but we are strong women n we will be fine image x x 

• Im just terrified of ripping and that horrible feeling of ur moo feeling like a tunnel an u dont know if u are pushing for a wee or poo (sorry if TMI) but thats how i felt after having my son but i did have a 2nd very near 3rd degree tear an im seriously hoping that i dont have that happen this time image