Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010

Temper Temper!

Well, as the title says........Holly-Kate seems to be getting a bit of a temper! The last 4 days have been pretty bad and I am struggling so much! I've been in tears because I just can't handle it. I know it's not a proper tantrum type temper as I don't think she is old enough (is she?). It started on New Years Eve, I put her down and she went to sleep, she then woke up. I checked she wasn't hungry, wet, too hot, too cold etc. Anyway, I put her back down and she just started screaming! When I picked her back up she was fine, laughing, babbling, blowing raspberries. In the end, when I put her back down, she was kicking, screaming, pull her blankets- she was totally out if control. She eventually tired herself out but it was so horiffic to hear. It made me so upset because I couldn't calm her down. She is now starting to get like this in the day time now for her naps and when she starts to get tired. I just can't cope- what do I do know? Today she cried everytime she was in my arms but when anyone else held her she was a smiles and laughter!

A very exhausted, down and upset Kim x

Replies

• Grace has been like this for weeks! Its become really noticable over the last month that she screams and has a paddy when i put her down for a nap. She screams in a really shrill high pitched way and at first it sounded to me like she was in pain so i panicked a bit but it's now really obvious that she's just kicking off as she doesn't want to go for a nap! She'll do it at other times when she's not happy too so I think they're definitely old enough for temper tantrums now - they know when they don't want to do something and aren't afraid to show us!!
  • Aww hun i can understand why you feel so down. Apparently thus age is when they start knowing what they like and don't like so it makes sense that they would kick off if they don't like something. X
  • Rhodri's surprising me at the moment too. He's getting really stroppy! The nights have been worst when he's been screaming solidly for up to two hours at a time and last night I gave in and ended up bringing him in with me. He brings his legs up in the air and wallops them down onto the mattress over and over again!! And he also sqwauks and squeals when we don't feed him fast enough. I'm sure I don't remember Gwenan being like this?!

So peculiar, it's caught me right off guard!

xx
  • Rhea has been the exact same. It has been a nightmare. Dave read that from about this age their separation aneixty (sp) becomes the worst so I've put it down to that. Also, over past few weeks if I've been at PIL & put her down for a nap in her cot is screams & won't go to sleep there.

A way I have got round it was that she used to go to bed at 7pm, now I keep her up till about 8 when she can barely keep her eyes open & goes to sleep quite quickly.

Just a thought?
  • Hello - grace started going through this at 7-8 months old on an evening. She "plays" us as we call it. If I settle her on a night she does all of the about that you all talk about - so I started sending daddy in to settle her. It seems to work for us. Maybe try and see. X