Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

He is gaining to much weight!!

Hi Ladies,

I took Blake along to baby clinic yesterday to be weighed as he seems to have had a major growth spurt this week. I was right. He has gone from 10lb 12oz to 12lb 3oz in 11 days, jumping from the 75th centile to the 91st. The health visitor was a bit bolshy with me, she turned her nose up when I said I bottle fed, then she said he was having to big a bottle, he is on 5oz, which is exactly the right amount the tub tells you to feed a 4-8 week old (Blake is nearly 6 weeks). He goes 3/4 hours between feeds, we try to aim for 4 hours when we can, so he isnt having to many bottles. Then I asked about hungry baby milk, as Blake seems to ALWAYS be looking for food, when I asked her this, it was like I had offered up my first born to the devil. I dont know what to do. I always try to offer him a dummy if he starts looking for a feed before the 3 hour mark, which normally works, and give him cooled boiled water after a few of his feeds to try and pacify him, but apart from this, what else can I do. How do you explain to a 6 week old "you cant have another bottle, even though you are screaming with hunger, as you are getting to big??"
Might I add though, that they have NEVER measure Blake's lenght, something I did yesterday, and he is the length of the avaerage 8 weeks old. Surely they should take that into concideration when weighing him.

I'm worried sick. HELP!!!!

Leeann & Blake (6weeks, nearly)

Replies

• Oh no your health visitor sounds awful! My baby boy went from 8lb to 9lb7oz in 9 days, from when he was 2 weeks until 3+2, which seems a similiar weight gain. he was only 7lb 3 when born! My health visitor found it amusing and said he was perfectly healthy so not to worry. Babies all grow at different rates and have different appetites. They eat when hungary so I wouldn't worry too much.

However, I was advised to use hungary baby milk from 4 weeks, LO goes about 3 and a half hours between feeds instead of 2 and a half now.

If you are really worried go to your gp i'm sure they will be more supportive. If he is hungary I really believe there's not alot you can do besides feed him, and if he is also tall for his age I'm sure everythings okay. Best of luck xx
  • Lucas went from 10lb 2.5oz to 10lb 1oz, then at just under 2 weeks he went to 10lbs 12oz and a week later 11lbs 9oz and now 12lbs 2oz...all big gains and I'm feeding similar amounts to you and he's not even 4 weeks yet!!!

You obviously have a healthy strapping lad, and a HV with PMT!!!

Keep up the good work honey - you're doing all you can so don't worry

• Urgh, HVs. They're either angels or demons. Sorry you got a shit one.

IMO babies that young should be fed on demand, and I wouldn't be trying to put him off feeding if he's indicating hunger. Just let him have a bottle, and let him drink as much as he likes. It's my belief that babies know far better than we do what they need at any given time, and if he's hungry I'd let him eat.

Growth isn't a neat linear thing, regardless of the pretty lines in red baby books, and I've got little time for growth charts. He could well have had a spurt, and then next time he's weighed have gained hardly anything, that's how babies are. I hate that HVs try to force babies to comply with this totally abstract idea of how they should be growing. If he is healthy, happy, having lots of wet and dirty nappies yet at the same times doesn't appear to have gained an abnormal amount of chub, then the likelihood is that he's just adhering to his own personal growth pattern and is ABSOLUTELY FINE. Tell your HV to go jump off a pier.

Also. many babies are on the 91st centile, it just means he is bigger that more babies than he's smaller than. Again, totally abstract concept, he's as big as a Blake right now and that's all that matters, no? Centile schmentile.

Finally - hungry baby milk - don't, unless you feel you have no choice. Some babies settle very well on it, but by it's very nature it is harder to digest (that's what makes it hungry baby milk, it takes longer to digest and therefore fills them up longer) and this can cause some babies to develop constipation and discomfort, especially very little babies. No judgement on anyone using it, it can be a handy tool, but not one to jump to prematurely IYSWIM?
  • Leeann - don't worry!

Oliver is havng exactly the same as Blake (41/2 to 5oz every 3 to 4 hours) He was 8lb 2 oz when he was born and is now 10lb 9oz at 4 weeks. My HV has said that it is good he has gained that much weight and she even said he was a credit to me! Oliver is also long so it doesn't worry me.

I also think at this stage they should be fed as much as they want. Lets face it every 3-4 hours isn't excessive.

Please don't worry, your HV is obviously a bit of a cow! Blake is a very lucky boy to have such a great mummy! xxx
  • . Again, totally abstract concept, he's as big as a Blake right now and that's all that matters, no?

I love that! So true, they are what they are and they are doing what's right for them. Last week, I was trying to exert a bit too much control over Matilda's feeds (she started getting hungry after 2.5-3 hours and I was trying to hang her out). Lots of the girls on here just said let her take the lead and, now I have, she is much more settled. Sounds like you just got a cow of a HV! x
  • Im sorry to post a question on your topic, but I did not know hat about hungary baby milk. My health visitor just said to me it had a higher fat content. howeer, after reading Mrs Setter's commen I've had a little research and yeah it says it has less whey protein and more of one that is harder to digest!!
    Considering my baby is also very colicky surely I don't want to be potentially making his pains worse!?
    Gosh I really thought the health visitor would of told me if there were any cons to this milk.

Feel awfull now poor bubs image
  • Have you thought about slowly switching him to a Comfort-type milk instead? Aptamil do one, and I think C&G do as well, and they are supposed to help with colic, and be easy to digest but they also tend to be thicker which might satisfy a hungry baby better?
  • We have moved Lucas onto Aptamil Comfort and it's made the world of difference to his feeding. He's a big boy as you can see from my post before, but will happily go around 4 hours between 5 oz bottles now and although his colic is still there it's nowhere near as bad.

Hxx
  • ladies, once again you have stoped me worrying. I'm gonna just let him take the lead on the whole feeding issue. I'm obviously doing something right as he is such a happy, contented baby and even the health visitor mentioned that skills wise, he is dveloping at an advanced rate, doing things that babies twice his age do.
    Once again, thanks all.

xxx