Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Flat head syndrome

Hi Ladies,

I'm a bit concerned about Blake. He has started to develope a flat spot on the left hand side of the back of his head. I try and turn his head when he sleeps, but he just goes right ahead and turns back onto his left. I try to give tummy time as much as possible, and he now has his bumbo seat so isnt on his back alot during the day. Will it sort itself out? Is anyone else having this problem or has had this with their older children. Any help would be good.

Leeann & Blake (10 weeks)

Replies

• Options
    Our HV advised that if DD was favouring one side to turn her head, we shuld try a rolled up towel under the mattress on one side which would make her turn her head. Could be worth a go?
  • Options
    Hi there my baby was born with a muscle spasm in his neck muscle (he was breech) and it has caused his head to always flop to one side. We picked it up at 2 weeks ( because there was a noticable lump on the muscle which isn't usually the case) and he was sent to a neuro-physio. She has given us exercises to stretch out the muscle. He is 10 weeks now and it's much improved. She will monitor him until he is crawling.

She said most mothers pick it up at about 3 months when baby develops a flat spot on their head and it's always tilted to one side. You need to get it checked out as it can cause their faces to develop asymmetrically.

It's nothing to panic about but you need to get it checked. Good luck.
  • Options
    Hi leeanne. Think this is really common. You can buy little pillow things (sorry not sure what they are called) that kind of have a little dip where the back of their head goes so they keep it straight x
  • Options
    thanks for the replys ladies. I will try the towel thing for a couple of weeks to see if that helps. Ive heard of the pillows, they're called goi goi pillows, but im so scared of using one, although in sweden they are recomended from birth and sweden has the lowest SIDS record in Europe, so I'm assuming they are safe to use?
  • Options
    I have the same problem as my baby was breech and his head was stuck under my ribs. He always looks to the left and we tried the towel thing to get him to look the other way but he just turns back. We saw a cranial osteopath about this yesterday and after just one session he's now sleeping with his head the other way! So if you haven't had any progress I would recommend that.