Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Hurrah - breakthrough!

Sorry I've been a bit absent - I've not really been absent, I browse plenty during feeding/pumping marathons, I just don't have any spare hands to type with!

Anyway, as some of you might know, I have had massive problems getting breastfeeding established with DS. He initially refused to latch on at all, and because of his hypoglycaemia in hospital and my inability to express enough colostrum to keep his blood sugars up, we had to supplement with formula. He then developed jaundice and as he still wasn't feeding well, continuing supplements was the only way of staying out of hospital longer term.

Since then we've been trying and trying and trying, locked in a fairly exhausting round of trying boob, topping up with a bottle of EBM or formula, then pumping to maintain my supply. I've been wavering between resigned acceptance and desperation.

The last few days he's seemed to finally get a clue. This morning, he had a lovely long breastfeed and for the first time ever he totally refused the bottle afterwards and happily went to sleep! He's fed brilliantly all day and so far today he has had just 20mls of formula - and I don't think he actually wanted it all that much, just drank it as it was there! Sorry, I know it's minor but I'm so happy I could actually cry. Maybe we will get there after all!!

Replies

• thats fab! keep in there!
  • thats fab! keep in there!
  • That is such fantastic news hon! So wish I could BF. The councellor came to see me and just couldn't figure out what was wrong, we just seem not to fit together it seems. Here's hoping you go from strength to strength with it and it frees some time up for you as you won't have to express so much!

Hxx
  • That's great news. Glad your perseverance has paid off.
    Karen x
  • That's fantastic mrs s. I really admire your perseverance. Reminds me why I need to not be tempted to top up with formula when I'm finding the cluster feeding tiring! Keeping up your supply purely through expressing must have been really tough - I'm fretting about expressing 1 feed a day!!

You go girl!!

Xx
  • Well done Mrs S, you both really deserve that breakthrough after all your hard work. Can't be easy managing all that with your dd too.
    xx