Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Family Rant!

Sorry for the rant that's coming I am just so angry and upset!

My in-laws have never really taken any interest in Holly-Kate, not through the pregnancy or since she's been with us. We are always expected to go round there and when they do want to see her they call or text DH and say "when are you bringing our little girl round"- If his Mum says this one more time I'm going to reply "I'm sorry but do you have the stretch marks, episiotomy scars and PND do you!!"
Just after we had Holly-Kate the house next to them came up for rent and they really fell out with us because we didn't rent it out. It was an absolute Sh*t Tip- I would even move my dog in there! They have said that we are not good parents and that my husband is letting us all down because he's not providing us with a house (were staying with my Mum at the moment waiting for a house but we have several rooms in the house it's like we have our own place anyway and my Mum works a lot so were mostly here on our own too!)

Well tomorrow, they are throwing a big BBQ "for the family to meet Holly-Kate" (as MIL put it) and I damn well know she's going to want to walk around with Holly as if she sees her every day. Holly starts crying almost as soon as she picks her up. She always promptly passes her back to me when she starts screaming or if she needs a nappy change (she comments sometimes about looking after her for the day but if she hands her back to me if she cries or has a dirty nappy, how does she think this is going to happen?) I have now found out that FIL has invited all of his work friends and so there going to want to pass her round like a parcel!

I have always been really good friends with BIL girlfriend and have confinded in her alot with how I feel and about the PND but I have just found out from my sisters friend (who works with her and is a very reliale source. She even said the comments upset her as my sister had told her what has been going on) that she's been talking about me and slagging me off behind my back. This has really upset me because I am really struggling to cope and over come this PND even with the medication and now the only friend that I thought I could really talk too does this.

I am really dreading tomorrow and know that if anyone makes any comments regarding our parenting skills / our living situation / or PND (as it seems to be common knowledge amongst them all now), I know I'm going to burst into tears as I just not strong enough to deal with it!

No need to reply, just needed to get it off my chest.

Replies

• sounds horrible. i would keep a firm hold of your lo. she is not a parcel or a doll (i used to say that my lo was not a doll if people wanted a cuddle when she was asleep!) and that's a good way to pick up germs. if people want to hold her and you dont want them to, be ready with some excuses. she still needs to burp, so may be sick. you just heard a poo so are going to check the nappy. she's getting tired, so going to someone she doesnt know well right now might make her cry. she's not a doll, so f off. you might want to think of some others ready!

if your mil wants to introduce her to some of her friends, say exxcellent you'll come to and keep hold of her. my mil commented to my hubby that dd was firmly attached to my chest. well, yes, she's my baby.
  • Aw chick - big hugs - I didn't want to read & run. Just take each day as it comes. You have to do what is best for your family. As long as your happy that's all that matters. X
  • Bloody families can be a right pain. I agree I certainly wouldn't let DD be passed around in the circumstances. Perhaps Holly Kate could have a 'bad' day so that you need to take her home early?

I have trouble with my family too but they have behaved so badly over her christening that I am now very much taking the 'sod em' approach. Your little family unit is fine and that really is all that matters so keep your head held high and do your best to ignore them and sometimes a few home truths don't hurt!!

I recently explained that my DD's christening was not an excuse for a family 'p*** up' and that if that was all they were concered with I would throw a sperate party later in honour of my qualification (when that happens) - which really peed them off because they hate the fact that I have done ok for myself! Shut them up though and been ok since

((big hugs))) keep strong

xxx
  • Thanks for the replies ladies!

I'm having a rubbishe day today so really don't feel like going. DH has told me this morning he's not looking forward to it either for the exact same reasons as me. We've agreed that if anyone starts, we are just going to leave.
    I have just been going through every scenario I can think of coming up with answers and comebacks to shut them up then thought to myself, I am going through a rough time at the moment but I'm doing ok and anything me and DH do is our business and we don't need to justify ourselves to them!

I'll report back later with the outcome! If you here on the news "BIG FAMILY RIOT IN GLOUCESTERSHIRE"- that'll be us!
  • At least you and DH feel the same way about it all. As long as you back each other up, sod what anyone else thinks - she's your baby!
  • Hope it wasn't too dreadful, kim! I will not hijack your post with my woes but suffice to say that my own inlaws are being insufferable at the moment, and I feel your pain! x
  • It wasn't too bad. MIL was loving all the family saying how lovely Holly-Kate is. I left at 8pm to come home and bath her, feed her and put her to bed then my Mum was looking after her.

I went back and have just got home. How did I survive the rest of the night you ask?? Answer= One Bottle of Wine!!
  • LOL, girl after my own heart. Glad it wasn't too bad
  • Good girl - glad you survived!

xx
  • Well done Kim! At least it's over and done with X