Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

breastfed baby poo

ok, jake is 6 days old and i'm bf altho he had formula top ups on days 1-4. He hasnt pooed for 2 days - is this normal?
He's got a scan on his liver/gall bladder in a weeks time as they found a problem at 29 weeks bt i dont know whether the fact he's not pooing is relevant?
Thanks
B x

Replies

• i think thats normal as long as they are having wet nappies.

"There is no set frequency for how often your baby should pass stools. In the early months this will depend on whether you are breast- or bottle-feeding your baby. Says Vicky Pigott, "Breastfed babies who are not on solids may pass stools four times a day or more, or only once every three days, but you shouldn't worry about the frequency as long as the stools are soft and easy to pass."
  • Grace poos about once a day on average but last week didn't poo for nearly 2 days and was obv in a lot of pain in her tummy so I took her to the docs who said for bf babies anything from 5 times a day to once a week is totally normal!!! She pooed later thatr day and it was MASSIVE so be warned that when it comes it will be huuuge! Main thing to watch is the colour and consistency. Around about the one week point onwards it should be mustard yellow (yours may be a little darker because of the ff top ups) and runny. If it is dark green or like rabbit droppings he may be a bit constipated.
  • Harvey can go upto 4 days without pooing. The first week he just went all the time. Now hes slowed right down. But both my dr and healthe visitor told me aslong as when he does go, hes not straining and that its thenice yellow colour and runny, he should be fine. Apparently breats fed babys have very little waste cos they are getting everything they need. As feebs said when they do go its massive, and that is so totally true, when Harvey finally does go, it's like an expolsion of yellow!!! few times it has been when his nappy is off and we all end up running around the room trying to find things cos there is so much lol.

xxxx