Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Playtime at home - so what do we do now...?

Seem to be in a bit of a rut and looking for inspiration. We:

Play on the playmat (with me dangling things over her!)
She goes on her playmat (can only manage a few mins - she's never really liked it!)
Sits in bumbo and tries to hang on to a toy
Watch Baby Einstein DVDs
Sing some songs

and then I run out of ideas on what to do. I kind of feel like she is ready for something new because she is awake much more but I'm not sure what. I can't wait to get her a jumperoo but I think she's still a bit little (says they need to be able to sit unaided).

Inspire me people!!!

K x

Replies

• I'm rubbish and convinced I bore the he'll out of Lucas as he seems to far prefer being asleep to being awake and playing! I do much the same as you really...play gym for maybe 10 mins at a time, although longer if Daddy's there (see...Daddy fun, Mummy dull!)...bouncer for maybe 20 mins, longer if I'm singing or pulling silly faces in the shower or getting dressed, in his Bloom Fresco chair for maybe 15 mins while I make my lunch or empty dishwasher etc...then I'm stumped.

He does seem to love telly...doesn't matter what, just likes the colours I think, and trying to avoid it too much...must get some Baby Einstein stuff, you have inspired me. I'm especially stumped as we go to our Dure Start centre a lot, but all classes are over for the summer now. Plus I used to go to their Music and Movement class every week and they're changing it to a 10 week course instead after the summer.

Going to try going walking more I think with the dog too. Park maybe. Swimming at least once a week. But at home I too am lost.

Might start giving him 2 baths a day...he loves them! So should have got a paddling pool!!!!!! Ooh!!!

A not very helpful response I'm afraid!

Hxx (and a possibly bored Lucas!)
  • No, that's okay H! I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds it a bit tricky! I like your 2 baths a day idea! x
  • I don't necessarily think you need to wait till they can sit unaided for the jumperoo - I think they just need to be able to support their head. We bought one about 3 or 4 weeks ago for Kirsten (now 13 weeks) and she absolutely loves it! She can't reach the floor though so we have to put a cushion under her feet!

We have playmat/jumperoo/tummy time every day and she also has a bumbo and baby nest that she likes to sit in and look around (she's a bit of a nosey baby!). We also have singing time and story time (tesco had buy one get one free on baby books last week - not sure if that's still on).

We're also quite lucky that our sure start centre is continuing with most things over the summer (not that that helps you I'm afraid!) and we try to go swimming at least once a week too.
  • Oh that's interesting about the jumperoo - thanks. She can hold her head up well so maybe she will be okay. Fab! Just got to convince hubby to let us buy one now...x
  • Hi hun,

Agree with kitkat about the jumperoo, think they have to be able to touch the floor but you can always put cushions etc under them!

We are rubbish at being in the house so I can't really help you! Benjamin likes to have a wonder round the garden and grabs for the leaves of plants etc. But generally we are out the house most of the time as being in is much more hard work!! Jumperoo's are ??75 in boots but out of stock at the mo....

What are the baby einstein DVDs like?

• They are a bit weird Ruth! They'd probably make more sense if you took some sort of hallucegenic whilst you watched them (I'm guessing!). Still, makes me feel less guilty about TV time! Will look into the jumperoo thing!

I only end up in the house for a couple of mornings or afternoons a week but I'm getting worried as we are moving to Scotland next month and I have only sorted out one group to go to and know NOBODY up there! I know what you mean though - ironically, it IS harder work being in! x
  • It's much harder work being in I think, which is why I try and do it as little as possible! I've been a bit lacking in inspiration too, so I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Some of my groups stop for the summer too which is quite annoying, especially as we're not going on holiday until September so we'll miss them all when they start up again!
  • We have playtime on the mat, rhea loves her's & spends up to an hour on it cause she rolls onto her side & back so she moves herself round in a circle on it. We also have some tummy time & she goes in her door bouncer for 10 mind or so. I get her naked about 10 mins before bath & she loves rolling about with no clothes & getting raspberries blown on her tummy & after the bath spend a good 20 mins puttin her cream on cause her skin is so dry, but make it fun by pulling faces. She goes in her bumbo & watches baby Einstein DVDs which she likes, but after about 10 mins wants out of her bumbo & would sit on my knee or the sofa to watch rest. We go out for walks & go swimming once a week but apart from that we don't do anything. I don't feel like I do enough with her though.

Jaynexx
  • KayeCee, we started a new class this week - baby sensory - if you google it then it is the first link that comes up. They do classes in Edi, first one is a free trial. We really enjoyed it & have signed up - it would fill up one of your mornings/afternoons & give you chance to meet some mums! Also, you could look at NCT activities round your new home - round here they do coffee morning a couple of times a week. And netmums 'meet a mum' board? You've probably thought of this already though! :/)

xx
  • Ah thanks Ruth - that's so sweet of you to look for me. They have a class in the community centre that I can see from my new house!!! Will also investigate NCT. Thanks hun! x
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one who needs a little bit of inspiration! I never knew a 14 week old baby would want to do so much!

• I'm getting stumped too! We haven't got the jumperoo out - I was going to wait til she was about 20 weeks but might get it out at the weekend - just need to clear away some of dd1s toys to make some room!! I feel that when we're at home I just move grace from one thing to another so I can get jobs done and spend no quality time with her. It is so much easier when we are out and about....
  • That's great news that's there's a class near you - it's def worth having the free trial to see what you think - the facebook group from their website has some brill pics!

• We wanted to get Blake a jumperoo but couldn't afford one so got him a door bouncer instead and it has been the best ??15 I have ever spent. He loves it!!