Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Major GP rant

For the last 2 weeks Lucas has been back to his old self...screaming with every feed, bringing up milk up to 4 hours after a feed, just wanting to sleep on me ALL the time and being generally unsettled. I thought for a couple of days it might be his teething making him uncomfortable, but he's now flat out refusing milk and just screams with hunger but as soon as he starts feeding his tummy sounds like thunder and he starts choking and gagging, arching himself completely rigid. He is also now losing weight it seems. Not good.

Went to the GP and he agrees it is probably reflux, predominantly silent, and tried to prescribe infant gaviscon...we had this when he was about 4 weeks and it actually made him worse, constipated and awful to wind. But GP refuses to prescribe anything else, even though rinitidine is perfectly ok in this situation, so referred us to a paedatrician...in September!!! He didn't seem at all concerned that in the last week he's fed less than 3 times a day, and even then it's a fight and he hardly takes anything, but is constantly rooting and crying in hunger. Apparently a month without milk is fine for a 3 month old!

He had the cheek to tell me if I'm not happy to wait I can take him to casualty.

So I'm left with a son who just wants to sleep in Mummy's arms and has to be woken up to attempt to feed and then just screams. I just can't take this for another 6 weeks! My poor boy. I am totally astonished by the complete lack of my GP giving a toss. He just wants to replace one problem with another because it's cheaper.

Replies

• As far as i'm aware if you go to A&E they have to treat you.

If its as bad as you say it is I would do just that, never be afraid to look like you are being extream when its to do with your childs health.
  • What an arse!! Stupid gp!! Did you ask him to prescribe the other medicine? What was his excuse? I'd be tempted to take him to a&e. Its not ideal but you can't wait til september - for your sake as well as Lucas's.

Xxx
  • That's awful. I agree with the other hun, I would go to A&E.

Hope things improve.

H x
  • That is dreadful,I would get him to A&E to put your mind at peace and to get something done about this situation sooner rather than later!
    I hope poor Lucas gets better soon it must be hell at the moment