Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Feeding times??

Could anyone tell me when I should be changing to 4 hourly feeds. At the moment I am feeding Matthew 3 hourly throughout the day. Sometimes he does not seem that bothered but I am concerned that he is not taking enough food throughout the daytime and so wants to feed a lot a night.

MAtthew will be 8 weeks on Monday. Should I be changing to 4 hourly feeds in the day?

Replies

• Don't know hun, and it seemed impolite to read and not respond.
    Harvey is now 10 weeks and still feeds every 3 hrs, but sleeps thru at night, we get him down for half past 10, and he wakes at 6. Health visitor reckons cos he sleeps thru he makes sure he fits what he needs in the day.
    Sorry I couldnt be any help.
    xx
  • Lucas seems to have moved himself onto 4 hourly feeding at 8 weeks, and now seems to only feed between 11 and 12 and then between 6 and 7 at night. I'm worried though as this means he's only having 6 bottles some days and then not always draining them...

Guess this doesn't really help you does it!?

Answer is probably try it and see how it goes...they'll soon tell us if they're hungry!

H xx
  • Most babies are on 4 hourly routines by 16 weeks but 8 weeks could be right for your baby. There really isn't a set time to switch.

Amelia is now 11 weeks and sometimes she goes 3 hours between feeds and sometimes she'll stretch to 4. I've stopped being so regimented with feeds and am 'reading' her signs i.e. chewing her hand or sticking out her tongue normally means she's starting to get hungry.
  • I am the same Tritread - I let Matilda lead the way (and have done all along really). She will sometimes go 4 hours and sometimes only 2.5! I figure that we are both happy if she is fed when hungry as opposed to her screaming for 1.5 hours until it's 'time'. I did let this get to me a bit about 5 weeks in (wanted more of a schedule!!!) but I just go with the flow now. Mind you, she eats like a sparrow - has only just taking 4oz every now and again at 8 weeks x
  • I'm with kayecee. Some times Grace goes nearly 5 hours between feeds. Sometimes only 1! She's going about 8 then 5 hours overnight though so I'm happy to let her lead in the day. As I'm bfing sometimes she'll 'snack' and other times have a monster session and some days she'll sleep loads and not feed too often but otherdays be awake and hungry all day!

I stress all the time about this too though!!
  • I guess I will just have to see how he goes!