Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

working. just feel awful

First of all sorry for the ramble of a post. I just keep bursting into tears and at least need to try and get my thoughts down so that I can try to get some sort of sleep tonight.

Basically my original plan was to return to work in january working 20 hours a week, 16 in office and 4 from home. However now that I am looking at child care costs it would mean bringing home basically no money.
It looks like I may have to return full time just to make ends meet and I really really don't want to.

Part of me feels like I could do it and the other part really really doesn't want to leave Finley. I hate the thought of someone else basically bringing him up and me hardly being able to see him.

Does anyone know if the government offers any help with child care.

I am so torn at the moment. I just have no idea what to do.

All of this isn't helped by the fact that when I had a meeting to discuss going back I have been asked to "organise" both departments at work I asked if he ment be general manager ( which I have been wanting to do for ages) and he said no organise. Surely that is the same thing. When I popped into the office they all said they were pleased to hear I was returning as general manager but boss won't give me the titlem hubby thinks cos he doesn't want to pay me more.

Grrrrrrrrr what do I do

No need to reply really just feel like screaming and this is a good place to vent

Replies

• Oh Wif, I know it's really horrible isn't it.

I go back to work in only 7 weeks, full time. I have spent the last week in tears about it all (I'm even crying as I type this now)

Why don't you go on the tax credits questionnaire on the HMRC website, I think it mentions childcare on there, so you may get something.

Your boss is cheeky too, tell him you will only take on the extra responsibility if you get a new job title and more money.

Sorry I've not been much help.

H x
  • Oh hun its such a dilemma isn't it? I went back full time (after just 20 weeks mat leave) with my DD1 which was awful. I felt so guilty (still do when I think Grace is the exact same age tomorrow as DD1 was when I returned to work and the thought of leaving her when she's so young is heartbreaking). I almost immediately decided to go part time and reduced my hours to 30 per week (4 days). I have never regretted that even though it does make it a stretch financially but having one day a week with her when I could do mum and baby/toddler stuff (and ignore the housework) made up for leaving her the other 4 days (almost).

Could you go back part time but on a few more hours? Also how are you planning to work your 20 hours? 5 short days/3 full days etc? As nurseries are usually more expensive for half days than full days and don't tend to offer discounts for late drop off/early pick up so 5 half days for eg would cost more than 3 full days and 5 days of 10-3 nursery sessions would cost the same as 5 days of 8-6 sessions in all likelihood.

Also does your company offer childcare vouchers? And/or your OHs? Each if you can take ??243 per month of your gross salary as vouchers meaning you don't pay tax of NI on them. Also if you're household income is below a certain amount (I think its dropped to ??40k now but it was ??70k so check the hmrc website) you will get some tax credits if you're working and have childcare to pay for.

Hth hon and as hayley says your boss is taking the p*ss to expect you to do the GM role without an official promotion/pay rise.

Hayley - try not to worry too much about going back in 7 weeks. Enjoy the rest of your mat leave as I promise that the thought of going back is def worse than the reality. I go back in 10 weeks so I'm not far behind you but I'm trying not to think about it and just be glad I'm not going back tomorrow!!
  • hi girls, i'm back at work in 3 weeks! the LO will be in nursery for 3 days a week and i'm going back full time. the OH will be at college 3 days nd will look after the LO the other 2 days, if he's not working. Its costing about 154 a week, it actually doesn't work out that bad as we get ??120 a week towards the cost.

At the end of the day, i love my LO to pieces i work 8-3, as a teacher i get good holiday and the bills need paying. We are going to be streched ?? wise, for the next yr til the OH gets a PT job, but hoefully it will all work out.

Entitledto.co.uk is a good website to use.
  • Hi Wif,

Just wanted to say that I'm sorry things are tough & that you might have to go back full time. Like Feebs said, is there no way you could go back full time but do 4 long days so you and Fin still have a day together? Or if you are able to work some of the hours from home, could you perhaps do some of the work in the evening? Not ideal I know and perhaps not feasible.

Hayley, sending you a big hug - wise words from Feebs about concentrating on today - 7 weeks is lots of time & I am sure once you're back it won't be as bad as you imagined!

xxx
  • Thank you all for your replies

After my melt down last night I am feeling much more positive. I think Finley will thrive in nursery and the time we do get together we will be able to do much nicer things with the extra ??s we have.

I have requested to go back 4 days a week and said that I would like to work as much as possible from home (perfectly doable and was suggested before I even left)

It is going to be hard but I am yet to find any part of being a mum that isn't. I love my fella soooooo much and I know that this will be good for him too.

Good luck to those of you returning soon.

:\)
  • Totally agree about Finley thriving in nursery - the amount of tihngs they do with them is amazing - I could never do half the stuff! Benjamin will be learning French at his (once he has got a bit closer to mastering English...) x
  • That's fab that they teach french at benjamin's nursery Ruth!!
  • Ruth my first choice of nursery teaches french too. They also take them swimming and on day trips etc.
    Quite excited for Finley now