Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

hi all! please help bit worried...

hi everyone, have enjoyed reading everyones birth stories etc and hope everyone is doing ok. never got around to doing the birth announcement as mbabes and i were in hospital the same time i think !

baby luca joseph james was born on his due date of april 18th at 1.30pm after a 2 hour labour. he was born very floppy and unresponsive so was whisked away and recusitated etc which im not really going to dwell on at mo, few days in hosp and anti biotics etc and home, all seemingly ok, although not without getting a movement sensor en route for peace of mind after that shaky start!!

my concern is though, and i hope this does not sound silly, is that he sleeps ALL the time? im forever waiting for him to wake up? he was awake for about ten mins for a cuddle with daddy this morning after a feed but then he just falls asleep again? still sleeping now, has been since 5 pm yesterday at least, in fact slept most of yesterday too as we were round a friends house and he was getting passed around but he just sleeps through it

the more i think about it the more i dont like it...he is a happy contented little soul when he is awake and can be beautifully bright eyed. he never reacts to loud noises or anything really? bit strange? dont know. i do have a lot of experience with babies as i was a nanny and childminder and looked after foster babies too and have an older son.

anyone elses sleep this much or am i worrying too much??

thank you for reading.

lucas mummy xx

Replies

• Is he feeding ok?
    I would be tempted to get your health visitor's advice. It may be absolutely normal for him, but you clearly need some reassurance and it won't do any harm to get him checked out.
    Hope all is ok
    Hxx
  • I agree that you should speak to HV for them to check.
    My baby was 5 weeks early and spent 10 days on SCBU. She still at 12 weeks now, sleeps almost all day. I have been incredibly worried (and still am a little). But the advice I've been given is that so long as she wakes for her food and is alert and aware of what's going on around her when she is awake then she's fine.
    You will never stop worrying, but ask your HV to try and put your mind at ease a little more.
    The other thing that EVERYONE keeps telling me, is to enjoy the peace whilst they're still sleeping lots as it'll change soon enough!
    xxx
  • Hi,
    Rhodri is a fortnight old and is still pretty much sleeping all the time. He'll have periods of about ten to fufteen mins being awake after feeds and feeds themselves take about an hour from start to finish. Other than that he's usually asleep. My daughter was the same though and i'm expecting this to change before too long.

I agree with what the others say about speaking to your hv as this is what they're there for and I'm sure you'll be glad of the reassurance.
    xx
  • I agree with the others. Grace is usually only awake when she's hungry but she is quite vocal and alert then. She is quite a hungry girl so doesn't tend to sleep for long stretches but other than eating she's usually sleeping! Best to check it out if it feels wrong to you. Trust your instincts. Xxx Feebs and grace (2 weeks 4 days)
  • Benjamin was only awake when he was hungry for the first few weeks. He is definitely a lot more alert now (he is one month old tomorrow) but still has days of sleeping LOTS - some days he will sleep through nappy changes and yesterday he fell asleep in the bath. However, if you are at all worried definitely speak to your GP/HV/MW or whoever about it - like Feebs says - trust your instincts xxx
  • Hiya, Ayla was the same and I was told by midwife that it was because of jaundice. They told me to get her up every 2- 3 hours to breast feed as they don't need to be fully awake to feed and that this would also help jaundice go down. She was like that for about 2 weeks. They said if it carries on and she's not waking up properly to take her to get checked out but happy to say she's fine now and much more awake and alert!!

TBH, I wasn't worried at all until the midwife said that, and my mum thinks it's a load of rubbish and that it's normal for babies to sleep (she's had 5).

Hope everything's ok xx
  • Sam slept all the time for the first 2 weeks. I was waking him up every 3 hours in the day and 4 hours at night for food. Now (3 weeks) he is more alert and wakes himself up. He is sometimes awake for an hour at a time now.

Good luck hun... i would talk to someone for some peace of mind.