Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My birth story. (Long I'm afraid!)

Here goes - its taken a while to get the chance to do this!

Sat 24th April I felt really pre-menstral - snapping at dh and feeling on the verge of tears all day. That eve I started with back cramps but didn't think too much of it as my back had been aching alot in the eve's. Got up to go to the loo in the night and noticed they were still there and wondered if it could be the start of something. Got up again about 5am as I was unable to get comfy and got in the bath, had my first contraction at 5.30am.
Contractions were coming every ten minutes or so but not painful just uncomfy. Rang my parents about 8.30am to ask them not to go too far (they were going to look after my daughter and were also my lift to hospital as hubby doesn't drive!)
At about 10.30am we decided to go for a walk to my mum's house, took about 15mins or so and contractions went to 7-8 mins apart during walk. They were starting to last longer too - almost a minute long each one. Was a lovely day so were out in their garden playing with my daughter. At about 1pm the contractions were intensifying, about 7 mins apart each lasting at least a minute. Rang hosp who told me to go in about 2.30pm to be checked.
When examined I was 3-4cm dilated. The mw was lovely and said I could stay in if I wished but that my cervix was still quite tucked back so might be better going home for a while, she also said my waters were bulging! I decided to go home as I didn't want to be in the hospital for hours.
Got home about 3.30pm and pottered around 'playing' with my tens machine. About 5.45pm I decided to ring the hosp again as the contractions were really painful now, they told me to go back in so I rang my dad to come get me again.
On the way to the hosp I had the 'magical' 3 contractions in 10 minutes each over 1 min long - not good in the car! Arrived at the hosp about 6.15pm and was found to be 7cm dilated! Really wanted some pain relief by now and was asked if I wanted to go in the birthing pool. Thought I may aswell try it so got in and to start with it was great. Then had some really intense contractions and my waters went. Didn't like the pool after that and felt that I wanted to push. Mw and hubby managed to get me out of the pool and onto a huge beanbag (which was great!). I was on all fours and flopped onto the beanbag between contractions, it was exactly as I'd wanted it to be. Started on the gas and air at that point which just helped take to edge off as I pushed. William was born at 8.25pm, just over 2 hours after I arrived in hosp.

Wow, that was long - sorry!

Congrats to any BA's I've missed x

Replies

• Options
    Thanks for sharing.
    The one thing I dreaded was having contractions and being stuck in the car unable to move, but thankfully that never happened to me. So well done! And congratulations.
    Karen + Kayleigh-Mae x
  • Options
    Congratulations!! Yep don't envy you with the back to back contractions in the car! Xx