Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Contraception!

Hi ladies,

Just wondered what people were using? My MW told me that EBF was 98% effective for the first 3 months, but since Benjamin is 2 months tomorrow ( image - how did that happen?! ) I figured I should start thinking about another method... I know I can take the mini pill when I am BFing but apparently you've only got a very small window in which you can take it? I was always a bit poo at remembering my normal pill before so think I'll struggle with having to take it at a certain time...

Any thoughts girls??

xxxx

PS Benjamin had his jabs today, my poor baby has been so upset all afternoon - total inconsolable screaming - I have total sympathy for mummies of babies with colic, it must be so hard xxxxx

[Modified by: Ruth77 on 04 June 2010 21:04:12 ]

Replies

• Oh no - sorry to hear poor Benjamin is having a bit of a rough time of it.

I'm not BF but we have decided not to use any contraception (other than sleep deprivation and the fact I smell of sick most of the time!). I can't take the pill as I have high BP but we are hoping to conceive again pretty soon anyway so are just going to see what happens (if anything like last time, it'll take a while!). Sorry, I know that's not much help, is it?! x
  • I'm back on the pill, cerezette (sp?) And you have 12hr window in which to take it if you forget. I'm terrible at remembering so now have the pack of pills stuck to the fridge so that I see it when I get the milk for my morning coffee image
    We did consider using condoms until DH gets the all clear once he's had the snip, but I don't get on with the latex ones and as it turns out I don't get on with the non-latex ones either :lol:
    I'll be glad when I don't have to take the pill anymore
  • I'm going with implanon implant which you can have whilst BF...lasts for 3 years or until you have it removed. Nothing to remember!

Hxx
  • We're like kaycee we're not going to use anything. Hormones don't agree with me, hence y it took us 3 years to concieve & condoms don't agree with me either. We are gonna start to try for lo number 2 at Christmas, but have said if it was to happen sooner it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Sorry couldn't be much help
  • Don't want to scare you hun but one thing I remember from when I was in labour was the maternity assistant warning everyone in triage not to believe anyone who days ebf is a contraceptive as she listened to it and now has less than 11months between her kids!

I was always rubbish at remembering my pill too but managed to only forget my pregnacare twice during my whole pregnancy so hoping I can do just as well with the minipill x
  • I've repeatedly heard the same as kayssis about ebf as a contraceptive. Had my 6 week check today and doc couldn't make enough of a point about it being notoriously unreliable! As have all the mw I've seen and my hv! Am fed up of being told tbh!!! Esp as dh and I have yet to do the do post baby so its not even an issue!

Anyway I don't like the mini pill as it has always given me breakthrough bleeding and lots of spots in the past so we're sticking with condoms (and 2 kids knackering us out!). Also as we haven't ruled out a 3rd bubba and conceiving Grace was like a military operation, we're not overly bothered about an 'accident'image
  • I can't take the normal pill so was on the mini pill for 15 years before we started TTC. You do have only a 3 hour window to take it in, but I only forgot a handful of times. I plan to ask for it when I see the Dr next week, we've been using condoms up to now.
  • I am going back on the patch, its so easy to use, you dont have to worry about taking pills everyday. You just change the patch once a week and then have a break on week 3-4 (like you would with the pill)

Find it much easier as i wasn't any good at remembering to take the pill either x