Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010

Cracked nipples...help :( - also posted in BF chat

Hi ladies,

Benjamin is 3 and a half weeks old. Until now he has been feeding really well but somehow this morning I have two very painful cracked nipples. I have expressed some milk and fed him with that so far this morning but have some questions...

How long will they take to heal?

Is there anything (other than Lansinoh) that I can use/do to help them heal quicker?

If I bottle feed my son with EBM, will he make the switch back to the breast ok when I have healed?

Thank you so much,

Ruth xx

Replies

• Hi,

I had very sore, cracked nipples & bought some nipple sheilds found they helped heal also express a little milk & rub it into nipple as it has healing properties in it.

We are combine feeding rhea mostly bottles now but she still latches on for 3 feeds a day, she hasn't been confused once & goes from bottles to breast very easily.

Jayne & rhea xx
  • Its hideous isn't it? Mione have finally healed but it took about a week to be pain free. I found wearing breast shells in between feeds really helped as tey allow the air to get to your skin. They are a bit annoying as they collect excess milk and if you forget and bend over without emptying them it pours out ove the air vents!! Really made a difference for me - more than nipple shields tbh. If you can I'd pro try to still do at least some feeds as benjammnin is so young but if you can't I'm sure yo'll have no probs switching back once you've healed. Xxx
  • nipple shields are a godsend. just use them short term and wean off. mine took about a week to heal,