Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010

Help with latch and positioning (also in bfing)

Ryan is now 4 and a half weeks old and still not latching on properly, think i've got positioning all wrong. I'm trying to follow all the advice, videos, diagrams but I just can't get him to take enough breast in his mouth. I've spoken to the hv who said to go to the support group, I've rung the national breastfeeding helpline who said to go to the suppot group, I've been to two support groups and seen 2 bfing counsellors, one was fab bit he didn't want to feed while we were there, the other, well seemed irritated I'd interrupted her lunch and then seemed to be annoyed that I stayed so long (took a friend with me, so not just me being oversensitive) and she basically said we've pretty much got it right, just that he was too far across my body, but then cos he got agitated with us trying to reposition him she just said put him on the way you normally do.

I've tried to adjust our positioning, but even when I put him to the breast before he's hungry he just gets agitated and frustrated that he can't get on it quick enough. The next support group (with the good counsellor) isn't until Thursday night and to be honest I don't think I'll still be bfing by then. My nipples are so sore and missing a gouge out of one, the other breast constantly feels like it's burning. Im not sure if it might be thrush. We both are getting so distressed at each feed and he never seems satisfied after. I'm at my wits end (again).

Does anyone know where else you can turn to for help? x

Replies

• kayssis i am one handed right now and can't reply properly but will be back later. in the meantime could you express a feed, give your boobs a break?
  • i expected expressing to be painful, but it wasnt and so less painful that bfing with sore nipples. also, i had some nipple damage at the start after a bad feed and i piled lansinoh on and used nipple shields. i wouldnt have continued without the nipple shields. they were a short term aid while the nipples healed, then i really paid attention to attachement!!!
  • Thanks so much for taking time to reply girls. We've got through today so far, he's only fed for 5-10mins each time and then I've had to give him a big top up, but at least he's still been on the boob. Just about to express, but even that seems to be so painful in one boob with this ?thrush. Just about to order some small medela shields as the ones I've got are too big, he just nipple sucks with them!
    Thanks mrs setters, would love to know what you can suggest..quickly learning you're full of words of wisdom over here x
  • I'm really not that wise, I just spent my entire pregnancy devouring BF info because I was determined to make it work properly this time!

The shields are well worth a go, though don't forget that while you're using them it's a good idea to pump after feeds, as they don't stimulate the breast and therefore the milk production in the same way,

One of the things we tried when we were trying to teach DS to breastfeed (it took him 4 weeks before he'd latch on properly and actually feed) was to give him an ounce of EBM or formula from a bottle (or cup, or whatever your preferred complimentary feeding method is) and THEN try to latch him on. He will be so much more prepared to have several tries at getting his latch perfect if his hunger has been sated a little.

Try nursing him in different positions - do you mind me asking what position you're using to nurse him at the moment? The football/rugby hold is a great position for learning correct latching as you can see the top of his mouth. It may also relieve some of the stress on your nipples, as nursing from a different position means the angle he's feeding at will be different which might irritate them less as they heal.

As Calleigh said, lanolin is a godsend.

I've never dealt with thrush, but if you suspect it, get you both to your GP. You will need prescribed medication to deal with it, probably a cream for you and Nystatin drops for LO, nip it in the bud before it gets worse.

Typically, DS has just started hollering, but I hope that helped. xx
  • I also found that breast shells really helped me to heal - you wear them in your bra between feeds and they allow air to circulate so that your nipples aren't constantly damp - may really help the thrush? I got medela ones from mothercare. Xxx
  • Thanks for coming back to reply hun. The shields are coming tomorrow.
    I'll definitely try giving him an ounce or two first see if that calms him down enough to play around with getting him on properly. We're cross cradle at the moment, whenever I've tried rugby hold or laying down he's just got even more frustrated and distressed.

I'm on my second tube of lansinoh, but forgot to put any on yesterday and nipples actually finally seem to be showing some signs of starting to heal! Maybe they've been moist too long and I need to try dry now.
    Going to try and get an appt today, although not as convinced now as just managed a feed without the excruciating burning starting after, more like a tingle.

Feeling more determined again today, it's hard enough anyway but spending the day sobbing in pain doesn't help matters x
  • Thanks feebs, you must've replied while I was writing mine. I did try the medela shells to help my nipples heal up before but didn't get on too well with them.when I first put them on I fed him and when I lent over to piut him down in his crib the opposite boob leaked. We then went out to the shops and just before coming home we popped to sainsburys to get some dinner, in the car park I bent over to put his pram up and a waterfall flooded put of each boob soaking my tops and landing in my shoe!!luckily I don't think anyone saw though
  • Bless you lovely, I spent most of yesterday in tears over breastfeeding as well, and yet today things alreaedy seem so much better. Sometimes I wish I didn't want to breastfeed so badly!

Have you tried drying your nipples after a feed then expressing a little milk out and rubbing it in, letting it air dry before putting your bra on? The antiseptic/healing properties of the breastmilk work on you as well as bubs!

One thing that I've learned is that one bottle of formula doesn't bring your plans to breastfeed crashing to earth. If it's all getting too much, if you are both getting wound up and frustrated, give him a bottle and try again next time with a fresh head. You'll get there, and one day the bottles will become obsolete.
  • It's constantly one step forward two steps back isn't it ?! Once we get there it'll all be worth it (I hope).
    Is that the knack? Dry first, milk and dry again...I've been missing the first dry out.
    The bottles of formula don't seem to have done us any real harm, I just worry about it affecting my supply. Think that's why I was so disappointed at the weekend as he'd been gradually weaning himself off them and Friday had been our first top up free day.

Got antibiotics from the gp today and the hv arranging for someone to come out to help us with positioning and latch, even if she doesn't Thursday nights not too far off now, least that's what I keep trying to tell myself
  • i have found breast pad hygiene important too for nipple care. i didnt realise you had tro change them at each feed, and doing so has helped. also, i had that tingling in the nipple for a while and suspetcted thrush but it wasnt and now there is no discomfort at all. keep with it.
  • I'm hoping whatever it is is improving as today has definitely been less painful than yesterday. And have managed a couple of more comfortable feeds, on one side anyway x
  • you are doing so well. it takes time and is all consuming but so worth it. just think about how well you are doing each day, as each day is a day hes had an excellent start! so many people give up at the first sign of difficulty so it shows determination to keep trying to get it right