Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010

Baby Blues?

Just wondering if anyone else if feeling like this?

I am so overjoyed that I am finally a Mum and I feel so close to my little girl but all I have done since she was born is cry!

I feel so depressed. I don't want to see anyone. I am pushing my husband away and the only person I want to talk to or help me is my Mum. I don't want any visitors which I know is p*ssing off the in-laws. All I want to do is curl up with my little girl and not let anyone near us.

Although I feel so fullfilled now that she's here, I also feel such emptyness. I miss being pregnant and I just want her back inside me because I feel I can protect her better. Now that my midwife care is coming to an end, I feel like this is the end of everything even though I know I've got the new adventure of being a Mum.

Is this just the Baby Blues and when will it pass? I can't bear feeling this way and feel like I'm cracking up when I should feel nothing but happiness.

Kim x

Replies

• I felt similar to this.
    Iwould cry and cry to my husband because i had had that moment of him being born and it was over and i couldn't get it back. i hated that everything had happened and i wouldn't feel it again and the pregnancy was over. i just wanted to relive those first hours over and over and hated that i couldn't.

i also wanted him back inside me because then i knew he was safe.

Fin is now three weeks old and i couldn't be happier and love every second of having him and sharing him with other people so it does pass

I do feel kind pf empty though and cant wait to be pregnant again.

• I know how you feel. I loved being pregnant and it seems very surreal that my lo is now here.

The other day I had this sudden realisation that he was here and always would be and that my life wouldn't be the same again (not in a bad way).

As the days have gone on I feel so much closer to him and that makes the more difficult times 100 % better.

I think lack of sleep makes things seem worse too.

Take care and remember we're all here xxx
  • You are most definitely not alone Honey. Hubby is my salvation at the moment as he is being amazing, but I really hope that the sleep and feeding situation has improved by the time he goes back to work or I may go mad!

I just find I get overwhelmed by everything at the moment. We underestimate what our bodies have been through over the last 9 months, and lack of sleep is never going to make you 100% rational!

I think this is a very normal part of having a newborn, and as Wif and Hayley say it does seem to get better each and every day.

Just post if you need anything!

H and LJxx
  • This is totally normal. The only person I've wanted around since grace has been born is my dh and we've pissed of loads of people by telling them were not ready for visitors. Im not missing being pg just yet but prior to grace's birth dh and I had planned a 3rd bubba and now he's having 2nd thoughts due to the lack of sleep and I'm panicking that this now might be my last chance at this experience. I think it is all normal and we'll all be a bit more rational with a bit of decent sleep. Xxx
  • Hi Kim, as the other girls have said these are totally normal feelings. I felt exactly the same after my first baby was born. I was so sad that the birth experience had been and gone (forgotten how painful it was already!) and foud myself getting so resentful when other people visited and 'staked a claim' on my baby as I saw it at the time. Remember it's early days tho, it did take me about 3 weeks for things to settle down and even then I'd get a bit overwhelmed again if I tried to do too much. Don't be too hard on yourself and go with the flow. Make sure you just have plenty of time with you and your baby. Mum's do come into their own when we have our own babies but I'd also just say that it will help if you try and let dh in a bit too. This is your new family and as lovely as it is to have your mum for reassurance that little baby is exclusively you and your husband and that's something very special.

If it's any consolation I've found it a lot less traumatic/hormonal second time round. I don't know if that's because I was expecting it or because dh's paternity leave went slightly pear shaped so me and Rhodri have had lots of time on our own together at home just chilling. Like Feebs, I now feel petrified that this could be the last time I do this and it even upsets me that I'll probably only do it once more! It still amazes me that us women can forget such horrendous pain so quickly!

Sorry for the long post but I felt so similar to this last time I wanted to tell you that it should get better before too long. If not, then make sure you tell us all how you're feeling and hopefully we can help.
    xxxx
  • Thank you everyone for you input. I don't feel like such a freak now that I know these feelings are pretty normal.

I've had quite a positive day today and although I've had a few tearful breakdowns I feel I've been a bit more cheery and coped better with things. I think it'll take a while to feel me again but I think I'm on the way there.

Thank You

Kim xx
  • Glad you're feeling a bit better xxx
  • Glad you're feeling better Kim - it is a really emotional rollercoaster at the moment isn't it? I got a parking ticket this morning and burst into tears!!! It will get easier as our hormones settle down and we get used to looking after out LOs.

xxx
  • G/C from Due in May,
    Sorry to poke my nose in but I just had to say hello.
    I always like to see how everyone is doing with their new arrivals.
    I am due in 12 days & keep wishing the days away, after reading your posts I am really going to try & stop this as I now realise these last few days are precious!
    I'm sure you can all remember being this close & feeling sooooo desperate to meet baby - it's mad to think I will miss this bit cos my body feels like it's giving up the ghost at the mo & i'm at the end of my rope!!
    Thanks for giving me another perspective ladies - will try & make the most of it now xx