Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010

How are you guys feeding?

I always said I would try breast but would not put me, or her, under pressure to make it successful. The two days I was in hospital they kept helping me with positioning but she would never suck for longer than about 5 mins (and then sporadic) and so I was using formula too. I don't feel like my milk has come in yet so yesterday just used formula and it was so nice - I had started to dread the attempts I was making and I think she was too.

As a happy compromise, I am thinking of expressing but with a view to bottle feeding. Anyones else gone this route? Would be really interested to see what you are all doing.

K & Matilda x

Replies

• Hey,

I really wanted to exclusive bf & did for 1st 3 weeks. My left boob is producing lots of milk but my right she wouldn't latch on at 1st but after 10 days or so she did. My boobs where so sore as she was feeding constantly always looking more, which stressed everyone out, but we made a decision to add in a few bottles of formula in evening which calmed her eventually. After speaking to health visitor we increased it to 3 5oz bottles a day ( she doesn't always take the full bottle) & we haven't looked back, I have such a happy baby now! So I bf then give 3 bottles that are spaced out throughout the day. My health visitor put it into a good way of thinking. The formula is like a big plate of steak & chips it really fills u up. But in between u may want a wee cup of tea & a biscuit which is where my breast milk comes in image

I'm still producing very little from my right breast, so I usually have to change half way through a feed.

Jayne & rhea xx
  • KayeCee, thank you so much for your reply on my post, it makes it so much better when you know you're not alone. I honestly think I'd lose my mind without you ladies. I love him so much and just so want to do the right thing by him, and think they put too much pressure on us to solely breastfeed that if you can't take it you feel like you're letting bubba down. Hope you get into your pattern soon too, and thanks again.

H and LJ xx

[Modified by: renri1002 on April 24, 2010 11:17 AM]

• Hi Kayecee, I just replied on Renri's post to both of you as I feel like the bf'ing has suddenly got easier for me in the past 2 days so hopefully you'll find that things ease up a bit very soon.

It's horrendous pain isn't it? I had no idea how bad it could be as I was lucky enough not to have any with DD1.

I feel like I'm over the worst of it now though so am stcking with bfing on demand for another week at least and then expressing and bottles feeding one feed a day/trying to get into a routine the week after.

I've felt so housebound this week as Grace wants feeding so often and for so long I'm terrified of leaving the house and not being able to feed her. Same goes for visitors - we've turned down loads of people as I just don't want to be sat her with my boobs out when people come round! Not sure everyone gets it so am feeling a bit antisocial...

xxx
    Feebs & Grace
  • Just wanted to say that I am exactly the same as you hun. In hospital I needed help with positioning but even then Oliver wouldn't suck for long.

On my second night in hospital I broke down and was in tears when I was trying to feed him, not good for either of us. The midwife helped me to express and I gave him that and topped up with formula.

I'm now back home and expressing and feeding him formula. I did feel upset that I had to do this but I know it's the best thing for us. Not sure how long I'll be able to express for as I know it might affect my supply but at least for now he is getting some breast milk.

I also think having a section after getting to fully dilated made me that knackered and sore that bfing was even more difficult.
    It's good to hear that others are experiencing the same thing, don't know what I would do without this forum!

H and Oliver xx

• Thanks guys! Seems many of us are having similar issues. My milk has come in today (christ alive they are SORE!) so I am cracking open the electric breat pump tonight - oh how my Sat nights have changed! :lol:

renri - you are more than welcome. They really do put pressure on and that just makes the whole situation even more anxious. We went to see the midwife for our post natal check today and they would not let it lie. Were arranging for someone to come to our house tomorrow and sit with me again. While this is a great service, quite frankly, I have had enough of people man handling my boobs and my baby! I really had to be quite forceful about it and decline more help unless I specifically ask for it. We'll get there eventually and if we don't we will still have healthy, happy, well-fed babies (despite what they might try to tell us!).

K x
  • Totally agree with you kayecee about too many people interfering in order to push the bf agenda. I'm supposedly getting a visit from a bf counsellor who should have come last week but couldn't find the house but I kind of feel like I'm working through my bf problems with grace and there's not really anything yet another observer can help with. It is good that mw and bf counsellors are available but I just don't want to get my boobs out and be wincing in pain in front of yet another person. My mw insisted I feed grace in front of her on weds and I really didn't wannt to but felt like I had no choice. Her only advice was to watch a nhs dvd whilst feeding 'to see if there's anything I can tweak' when I know now I just need to heal and it will be ok. Grrr!
  • Hey Kayecee

hope you are getting on ok hun.

Breastfeeding is exhausting and bloody painful- there I've said it. I find it VERY hard work especially on the days Etienne just wants to feed and feed or just suckle for comfort.

I am exclusively B/F for now, but have given the very occasional top up feed of formula at night when my breasts were just too sore to offer her. When I was in hospital the doctor said there was absolutely nothing wrong with giving baby formula if that was what worked best.

There is SO much ridiculous pressure over this, making women feel terrible and guilty ( like many I was in floods of tears in hospital while various midwives man handled by breasts and shouted instructions at me ) and I've made up my mind not to allow the pressure to affect me anymore.

I am breast feeding and will do my best to continue but if I eventually change my mind thats no-ones business but mine.

We are all doing our best for our babies, and whatever makes us happy will help keep our babies happy too.
    Do whats best for you both and ignore the criticism and pressure.

xx
  • I was even made to try and BF when I got into the recovery room after my section! I got quite upset because I was lying down and I could not even feel my arms properly because of pins and needles after the epidural.

The mw yesterday even started talking about how atrocious their breastfeeding rates were - making me feel even more like they only wanted me to succeed so that they could tick a box as opposed to making sure me and Matilda are happy.

Hey ho, have had two expressing sessions now and milk is definitely there - just hoping it starts flowing a bit faster otherwise that is going to be a loooong process! x
  • I very much wanted to exclusively breastfeed, but we had to offer Ethan top ups of formula in hospital as he had hypoglycaemia due to my diabetes, and jaundice, and wouldn't feed from me at all.

I've been really lucky to have great support on hand and he is now slowly getting the hang of the breast, in fact he has fed really well from me over the last day or so.

In the meantime I have been offering him the breast at every feed, provided he stays calm enough to try, pumping after feeds and topping up with EBM then with formula if he needs any extra. We've cut formula topups to about 3-4oz a day now, and we'll phase them out slowly, then phase out EBM top ups. I hope to have him exclusively breastfed by the beginning of June when we go on holiday for a week.

It's been hard work with all the feeding and pumping but we'll get there.
  • Kayecee and anyone else who is pumping, try Googling for breast compressions. It's a great way of maximising your output when pumping and ensures you fully empty the breast at each session, which will stimulate further supply. I pumped exclusively for 4 weeks for DD when she was in SCBU and managed to build a really good supply using breast compressions.

They're handy if you have a lazy or reluctant feeder at the breast too.
  • I BF for 2 weeks but then he had a growth spurt and wanted feeding every 45mins-1hr. I was sat crying for most of the day as my boobs were so sore, Lucas was getting more upset the more i got upset, so i gave up and switched to bottle feeding. I do regret it and wished i stayed with it for longer, as feel i've givin up on him & feel really bad about not BF (as i did really enjoy it) but i dont think me being upset & my baby being upset was a good thing. The main thing is him eating and now that he has switched to bottles he is a much happier baby, in 4 hour routines and i'm a much happier mummy as well xx