Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

belly button question..

I wonder if anyone can tell me if this is normal..

Grace's cord stump fell off when she was 8 days old. The belly button looks nice and normal however 4 days later and its still bleeding a little. There's dry blood on the inside of the top of her nappy at every change and it looks a little weepy when I wipe it clean. There's no inflammation or redness and no smell so dh thinks its just healing but I'm not sure. What are/were your bubs belly buttons like at the 12 day point? Anyone else have a little blood still?

Thanks.

Feebs x

Replies

• Kayleigh-Mae was the same. It's only been the last week and a half or so that it has totally healed leaving no blood on her vest. Her cord came off at 10 days old and she's 5 weeks today.
  • Ethan's fell off 4-5 days ago and is still like this. I just clean it with cooled boiled water and pat it dry. As long as it's not smelly or inflamed, it's fine I think, though I confess it freaked me out a bit, we didn't have to deal with DD's cord stump so I felt like a clueless novice!
  • Matilda is a little behind Grace but we were told to just look out for a smell as a sign that it wasn't healing properly x
  • Little freaked out that Lucas's came off on day 3 now!!!!! It's still not fully healed, but midwife said it was ok, so guess it's nothing to worry about. Wasn't expecting it, and we'd just had skin to skin cuddles when it happened and hubby picked him up and the clip was left behind!
  • Thanks guys I it's reassuring that this is quite normal! You worry that its painful for them don't you? And I can't remember my dd1's belly button doing this although I've prob just forgotten! Renri - I wouldn't worry about when the stump comes off it will only come away when its ready - we actually lost grace's up her vest! It just wasn't attached when I went to change her nappy and I eventually found it up her back inside the vest!!