Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sleep!

Hello ladies & babies!

Was wondering how're you all sleeping?? Or more to the point, how are the babies sleeping? Has anyone experienced a full nights sleep yet?? I think I would panic if Benjamin did!! Benjamin has been tonnes more awake in the last few days (had 3x15 minute naps on Monday in 12 hours image ). Last night he went down at 8.45pm and woke up at 7.15am - heaven!! He woke up twice for feeds but went straight back down again...think this is probably a fluke as he normally wakes up around 6am and won't go back down...

Ruth & Benjamin xxx

Replies

• Options
    Ethan slept through from 10.30pm to 6.30am last night. I keep opening the door looking for flying pigs!
  • Options
    Lucas seems to have regressed!!! He will only nap on me during the day and that is most of the day, and then he will finally go to sleep by himself for about 3 hours at about midnight, then he won't settle till 4, and will then wake up every hour or so to feed and cuddle. Means we end up stating in bed till at least 10 in the vain hope we might get enough sleep to feel human!!!

I'm like you though, think if he slept right through I'd think something were wrong!

Hxx
  • Options
    We've had one night of 8 hours & one night of 6 hours, but they have usually followed a day when rhea has been up most of the day & she's just so shattered. Otherwise it's been bang on 4 hours during the night for feeds. Although we hit the 6am feed & she won't go back to sleep as it's light outside & she wants to play!!!!!

Jayne & rhea xx
  • Options
    Amelia is now 6 weeks old and we've had two nights of 4 hours block sleep which is great. She's a little bit more settled during the day but she doesn't have long naps - mostly 3 naps of 30 - 40 mins. Although right now she's been out for the count for 2 hours. I don't want to disturb her though. It's probably because she was up from 5ish.
  • Options
    Oh my goodness Beth, that's amazing! Is Ethan about 4 weeks now? I'm so jealous, what's the trick??? Jayne isn't it funny how they wake up almost to the minute? I record Benjamin's feed times at night and first thing and there is a definite pattern! Renri, hope that Lucas' sleeping clicks back in place soon - Benjamin is getting like that with naps during the day - I have a babybjorn sling which is brill - means I can get stuff done and he sleeps! xx
  • Options
    Kayleigh-Mae is now 7 weeks and we have the odd night where she will sleep for 5 or 6 hours solid, but they're as rare as hens teeth. She also has the odd day where she is wide awake for most of it, only cat napping on and off.
    But usually she'll sleep in 3-4hr intervals day and night.
    She has got better at self settling now at night though, it's only taken me 4 babies to get it right :lol:
  • Options
    We're still all over the place with Grace. She'll usually have one decent 3-4 hour nap in the day followed by some shorter cat naps, usually when held. Then we generally have a fractious evening with her cluster feeding from 6-9ish. Then she'll generally go down from 9 til anywahere between midnight and 2am. If I'm lucky after an hours feeding she'll go down for another 2 hours but after that (anywhere between 3am and 5am) I generally have to hold her/sleep her in bed with me while I doze til 6ish when she's ready for another feed. My 3 year old is generally up at 7ish so that's me done with sleep for the night!! I am pretty shattered and have been tempted to give her a ff one evening just to get a longer stretch but then remind myself bf is actually going really well and that things will settle in a few weeks...

Its good to hear from those of you a few weeks down the line to see that there may be more sleep on the horizon!!

Feebs & Grace (4 weeks tomorrow - yikes!)
  • Options
    Daisy went the longest ever without feeding last night (5.5 hours) but I don't think she was asleep the whole time - she is was in the spare room with Daddy. Sadly, this period of non-feeding didn't begin until 2.45am this morning and up until then she'd been feeding pretty much hourly since about 10pm (and had been awake since 5pm)!

We're not getting any kind of pattern at all during the night. The only certainty currently is that she does seem to sleep for 3-4 hours each morning starting at about 9-10am. Unfortunately I struggle to sleep at this time, so it's no good for me to catch up.

She is still only 19 days old though, so I'm hoping that she'll start to find a better pattern soon. I'm knackered and DH goes back to work on Monday so I can't really ask him to do so much of the settling her back down in the night.
  • Options
    Ryan has never woken himself during the night! He has his last feed between 9 and 11 then once he's gone down he stays asleep until our alarm goes off and we wake him! Since Monday we've been allowed to increase his gap between feeds to 5 hours so we're waking him between 2 and 4 then again in the morning, although the last two days he's woken in the morning himself. The hv came out yesterday and seemed to think it would change once he hits two weeks, so we'll see what happens over the next few days

shanee & Ryan 2weeks today
  • Options
    He's a month old today Ruth - no secrets to share, we just wing it! He's awake a lot in the day and cluster feeds all evening, which probably both help.

I'm saying this and probably cursing myself for him to be awake all night tonight!
  • Options
    Ryan has never woken himself during the night! He has his last feed between 9 and 11 then once he's gone down he stays asleep until our alarm goes off and we wake him! Since Monday we've been allowed to increase his gap between feeds to 5 hours so we're waking him between 2 and 4 then again in the morning, although the last two days he's woken in the morning himself. The hv came out yesterday and seemed to think it would change once he hits two weeks, so we'll see what happens over the next few days

shanee & Ryan 2weeks today

imageimageimageimageimageimage

oh my goodness! that's amazing!
  • Options
    Midwife came today and has given us the go ahead not to wake himation all tonight!! Slightly scared about not hearing from him all night so will still be setting and alarm just to check on him, but won't wake him. She doesn't think he'll do more than 6hours, but we'll soon see. Will let you know tomorrow how he does
  • Options
    I wouldn't bet on it Renri, both Rhodri and my dd before him freaked me out a little by going 7-8 hours at night in the first couple of weeks. It's changed now unfortunately!
  • Options
    Well Ryan started his last feed at 9pm, went down at half 10 and we didn't hear from him until just before 5!!
  • Options
    Oh so jealous! Lucas didn't go down till midnight, slept till 3, didn't go back down till 4.30, grumbled every half an hour and finally awake again at 6.15 and yet to settle again yet! I'm driving 3 hours to my parents' tonight and leaving Lucas with Daddy for 2 nights...am dreading it and can't wait all at once! Will be able to sleep all night for 2 nights, but will miss the muffin man sooooooo much!

Bah, sleep is so overrated!!!

Hxx
  • Options
    I had to update!! Benjamin went down at 8.30pm last night. At 3.48 I went in as I could hear him grissling (sp?), I fed him for 10 minutes (during which he didn't open an eye) and he went straight back down. It is now 7.40 and he is STILL ASLEEP!!!!!!! Oh my goodness, I know it is probably a one off but I can't believe it! I have just expressed out of one very full boob and daddy is doing the first night feed tonight so if last night repeats itself I will get one full night!!! image

Kayssis, that's fab!!!

Renri, two nights whole sleep, wowser!!! Have you tried the pick up, put down method? I looked into it at one point...

xxxx
  • Options
    Will keep my fingers crossed for you Ruth that the sleep continues.
    Kayleigh-Mae went down at 11.15pm woke at 3.15am for 15min feed then woke this morning at 7ish
  • Options
    The PUPD isn't recommended for babies under 4 months apparently, and I'm still not convinced that bubba doesn't have reflux and they advise against this method if he does. We're going to an osteopath on Monday so hopefully that may help. If we get to 4 months and he's no better I'll try anything!!!
  • Options
    Matthew is waking between 11-12pm, 2-30-4am, 5.30-7.30am. We are coping with the waking but it seems that during either the 11-12pm or 2-30-4am feeds he will not settle hmself back to sleep and we will be up for 2 hours or more trying to settle him!

Anyone got any tips on how to get him to settle himself back to sleep/
  • Options
    Here are a couple of things that have worked for us if Benjamin won't settle... We put the lullaby on on the monitor and rock the moses basket with the lights off. Or I feed him again even if he isn't looking for it! Or we did try putting a hot water bottle in the moses basket before we put him back down and so he wouldn't wake up. I know this is all maybe going to cause us a problem in the future but I can't think too long-term right now!! x

[Modified by: Ruth77 on May 14, 2010 05:09 PM]