Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I haven't been on here for ages (well a week!)

Hi ladies

Hope you and your lo's are all well.

I have been sooo ill, I've had a really bad chest infection and am on my second lot of antibiotics, horrid! My mum has been looking after LO when DH has been at work, as I just couldn't look after him.

I am soooooo gutted I missed last Thursday's meet up, I can't believe of all the times to get ill that's when I do and it was only a 15 minute drive for me. I will be at the next one though no matter what!!! The pic of you all is fab by the way, your babies are all gorgeous. I really can't wait to meet you all soon. Thats for your nice text messages Ruth and Jayne, sorry I didn't get to respond xx

Anyway, this is also a rant post about my MIL, I cannot begin to tell you how angry me and DH are about things!

Just a bit of background. LO is a big baby, 91st cenile for everything, so totally in proportion just a big boy. For about 2 months, she has been telling us that he needs to have food and water and orange juice. She really doesn't understand that although he is big, it doesn't mean his insides are mature enough for food. He is now 18 weeks and has had a few tastes of baby rice, but he doesn't really swallow it, so he isn't quite ready yet. I also don't want to rush into upsetting his tummy seen as though he had awful colic and is still on comfort milk, which he has about 35mls of a day and doesn't want any more after his feeds.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago she said to him 'ooh what you need is a rusk' To which DH replied ' we don't want him having rusks' Nothing against anybody who has them btw, it's just a choice we have made (for now anyway). The next week she went and bought some, to which my DH said again he wasn't having them.

Fast forward to Saturday night, my MIL was having him at hers over night as we were going to a family party. We went to pick him up on Sunday morning and for a start they weren't in, which annoyed DH as he had said when we were going for him. They weren't far and came back about 20 minutes later. While they were still out DH went into the kitchen and looked in the cupboard, found a box of rusks that had been opened and half of one was in there. DH went mad and started shouting, I told him not to jump to conclusions as she could have had it herself. He then looked in the dishwasher and found a bowl and weaning spoon! While we were waiting for them to come back, I went upstairs to the room where he had been sleeping to start getting his stuff together and it looked like he had been covered up overnight with a small duvet, which couldn't even be tucked in as it's a travel cot!I wouldn't mind but I had sent stuff for him to sleep in!

When they came back DH didn't take it up with her, as he said he was so mad. He just said to me he wasn't letting her look after him again. Everytime she has him she says he has stmach ache, he doesn't, I know how he is with stomach ache, I had weeks of colic ffs! She can't understand that he cries because he gets oovertired and needs a sleep. It also makes us feel that she is saying he is ill and we aren't doing anything about it!

Do you think we are over reacting??

I have changed my name but I'm sure you know who it is.

Rant over, I'm off to read all the posts I have missed.

H x

[Modified by: *PinkPurple* on 24 August 2010 11:30:57 ]

[Modified by: *PinkPurple* on 24 August 2010 11:54:04 ]

Replies

• FFS!!! I would be fuming!!!! As parents it is your decision when to wean and what his first tastes are, and I think you have every right to never let them look after him again! I'd be tempted to sit down with them and ask them to go back to when DH was this age and ask them how they would feel if their parents had gone against their every wish. I'm lucky in a way that both sets of parents are miles away so they can't interfere, but the constant telling me I'll never get him to 6 months does my head in enough, so if they took it out of my hands I'd go mad at them!

Why is it grandparents think they have as many rights as parents, yet constantly tell us how interfering their own parents were...grrr!!!
  • Oh. My. Good. God. How did you not say anything?! That is outrageous. I would definitely have it out with her and explain that they will not be having him again (even if you later go back on that). I think you need to make it clear now that you guys call the shots otherwise she will be enrolling him in schools of her choosing before you know it!

Glad you're feeling better xxx
  • I would be absolutely livid! I am amazed that you managed not to say anything. I mean, you even specifically told her you didin't want your LO to have rusks. I think you should definately say something!!