Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010

O/T arrggghhhh

Sorry ladies but I got to vent.
My DH has been trying to get back into the police for the last 18 months. He was in previously for 2yrs, 5 yrs ago, but didn't really like it and TBH was a nightmare to live with. I didn't really want him to re apply, but he has been banging on about it for the last couple of years, so I just let him get on with it. He re-applied to join a different force to the one he was previously in, they did a back ground check, he had an interview, apptitude test and role play test and a physical, all of which he passed last year apart from the physical which he had and passed in Jan. He was told that he had a job and was given the station that he would be based at, but that he just had to wait for a start date.
All this was back in Jan, so he's been working in temp jobs as he didn't feel it was fair to take a full time job when he knew he could be leaving anytime.
So he has been chacing (sp?) the hr dept as the start date just hasn't appeared, only to be told that his old force had left some info off the forms and they had been sent back to be completed properly.
Well today his world has come crashing down as he had a phone call to say that he hadn't passed the application process. They won't give him a reason and have just said that the declaration he signed stated that he wasn't guaranteed a job.
I'm so mad that they have kept him dangling for 18 months, told him via email that he had a job months ago and have now just left us totally f**ked.
In one way I'm glad that he's not going back in, I wont have to worry about him being shot or stabbed (I know this could happen to anyone, but when he was in before he had a gun pointed at him), but at the same time we were depending on the money and security that the job would have provided.
He turned down a good paying job a few months ago because he thought that he would leave them in the lurch when the police gave him a start date.
I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to be able juggle work with 4 kids when it comes to the school holidays as we can't afford childcare and relied on my mil to have my youngest ds when my older 2 were at school. During the holidays my mom would have one of the older ones and my mil would have the other 2, but now we have 4 and my mom can't cope with more than one (my dad is disabled and my mom is his carer) and my mil can't cope with 3. I really can't think of how it's going to work if DH can't get a good paying job, meaning I could be a SAHM.
Arrggghhhhh
Anyway I feel a little better for writing it down, even if it is a bit confusing to read.
Thank you for reading, you don't need to reply.
Karen x

Replies

• That's rubbish Karen. That is such incompetence and makes me mad on your behalf! As you say, on the plus side, I guess you don't need to live in limbo anymore. I can imagine how gutted you both are though x
  • Oh god how frustrating!! Is there an appeal process for your dh so he could at least find out what the problem was?? Its so unfair that he's turned down a good job only to be let down like this.

I'm sorry I've no useful advice about the childcare problem. It is so expensive isn't it? I'm lucky that my in laws help out so much and we only have to pay for nursery 2 days a week. I don't know how people afford it full time - and dh and I both have well paid jobs. Its ridiculous!

Xxx
  • Thanks ladies. DH has asked for the refusal in writing so that he can write a long letter of complaint. He's going to try and find out what the reason behind it is, but in all honesty I don't think they'll furnish him with the answer.
    As for the cost of childcare, don't get me started :lol: I regularly drive past a nursery which has a great big sign saying 'still a credit crunch busting ??36 a day' I only work part time and that's more than I earn a day and i'd have 2 kids that would need a place. I really can't figure out what i'm going to do. Hopefully something will come along, I could win the lottery :lol: