Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Weaning off swaddling...

Anyone done this yet?

Lucas is 8 weeks 3 days and still has to be swaddled for any kind of meaningful sleep. I can count on 1 hand the number of successful sleeps not swaddled! We've tried tucking blankets really snug around him and under mattress so he starts of swaddled-ish but he fights out before he's even asleep and just freaks himself out! I've also tried bags but his arms again just flail about!

I got him down this morning for a nap just in a bag but it only lasted 45 mins and took 3 dummy runs wher normally he doesn't need his dummy once it falls out the first time.

I don't mind sticking with swaddling at night for now, but it's just too warm in the day so his naps are either pitifully brief or on me in some way, and I really need to nip it in the bud!

Any tips?

Hxx

Replies

• Sorry hun, not been swaddling but felt bad to read and not reply. Tell me if it's a daft idea but is it possible to gradually swaddle less tightly so he's still wrapped but gets used to a bit more room? x
  • I know what you mean, but the problem is his arms, so as soon as the swaddle is slightly loose his arms break free and before you know it he thinks he's falling through the air and freaks himself out waving about sbd shoving his hands between the bars!

Tried putting blankets over the edges and tucked under mattress but a) as they're soft he still puts his hands between the bars and b) I'm far too paranoid about him pulling them down on top of him so I lie awake worrying!

Aagh!!!
  • Aww bless him, I'm sure someone will have a bright idea for you x