Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2011

My BS

I'm a hanger on from DIM! The little man, William Edward Thomas was not ready to move out at all but finally arrived on 11th April when I was being threatened with induction.

I had been in hospital as an outpatient for monitoring on 10th and the doctor had agreed to give me till 12th before inducing. I was starting to have mild pains and they thought I would go naturally anyway. All of the 10th I was uncomfortable and hoping I would go into labour properly. But that night it all stopped and I was really upset because I wanted to avoid induction. But at 4am on 11th I was woken by bad pains and by 5:00 we decided to go up to the hospital. At 7am I was told that despite the pain level I was not in established labour but the doctor was concerned about my pulse and wanted to admit me for some tests with a view to speeding things up if necessary. So I was taken to the antenatal ward. By 8:00 I was in absolute agony and having regular contractions, I probably scared the other ladies who were not in labour as I was walking up and down gasping and grunting :lol: The midwife suggested a bath and so my DH took me to the bath and got me in. The pain level rocketed and I had to be fished out at 9:30 to be told I was 9cm dilated and they fetched a bed to rush me to delivery. I think they were scared I'd give birth in the bathroom :lol: So far no pain relief and I was told that other than gas and air there was no option left as it was too late, I took the gas! The last cm took longer and to be honest hurt like hell but by around midday I was ready to push. After an hour with no baby the two midwives got worried and fetched the doctor. His first line of attack was fetal monitoring and directed pushing but small fry was thoroughly stuck and so at 13:30 it was decided to do a ventouse delivery (under local anaesthetic as too late for an epidural) and William was successfully born at 13:52, weighing a huge 9lb 15oz image. It turned out his head had been a bit wonky and that, combined with his size had made it just too hard to push him out unaided. We had an overnight stay in hospital because of it being an assisted delivery but we are now home and apart from a throbbing rear I'm fine and so is baby. So glad he's here and OK. Good luck to those still to have their baby. Here is the little man:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2119323&id=1333911439&l=69db518aa9