Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2012

Exercise?!

Hi everyone and congrats if you've just made it onto this fourm as you're due in April. I am still in shock about being pregnant but having weighed myself this morning that shock was even worse!

I have vowed I now need to cut down on how much I eat (not dieting just cutting out unecessary refined sugars etc) but start some gentle exercise. Thinking of going swimming tonight.

What's everyone else doing exercise wise?

I guess I'm so scared about having another m/c after three last year, that I want to have the best chances. But sitting on my bum doesn't feel right either!

Replies

• Hi fozzie74 - I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriages. I'm sure that this is the sticky one for you and look forward to chatting lots over the next 8 months.

I've got a dog, so I'm walking every morning. I do between 30 minutes and 1 hour every morning. It's not fast or energetic, but gets me out (finding I'm getting out of breath a lot quicker now though!) I'm hoping to alternate with a bit of gentle swimming too, but the pool I use isn't open at the moment.

It's tough isn't it - I feel like I've got a hangover most the time and exercise is the last thing I want to do - so I'm pleased I have the dog, as she wouldn't take no for an answer! I've read that exercise makes the whole pregnancy and labour easier, so worth it I guess.
  • I think it depends on what your body is used to - swimming sounds great as it's very kind to your joints! I'm a runner, so I'm planning to carry on as long as I can taking it easy and wearing a heart rate monitor. I made it to 18 weeks last time before it felt too weird!

After that I did non impact stuff at the gym (cross trainer, bike etc), swimming and lots of walking.
  • I have a toddler to chase round after!

Last time I continued my usual spin class up to 29 weeks (when I could no longer comfortably reach the handles!) and went swimming and to aqua-natal. I haven't been to spin for three weeks, but will probably go back next week. I'll be starting aqua-natal after the first scan and will be going swimming too.

I think it is important to keep fit and active as it helps to get the baby in the right position for labour and means you cope with labour easier.
  • I have 3 other kids that are 4 and under so i'm pretty active lol

I have to take my eldest to school and dd to pre-school every day, so thats 15 trips out a week and i'm a full time carer for my mum, so i doo all her cleaning ect which helps burn off the calories. I seem to have piled weight on over the last few weeks, so i'm actually looking forward to the kids going back to school image x
  • I have a5 year old and a 2 year old to run round after so thats my exercise!! haha ... Like 4under5 I have to walk my 5 year old to school monday to friday and up a HUUUGE hill on the way home so doing that hill alone pushing a pram must burn 500 calories!! :lol: I think im also going to start swimming when my partner gets home from work to watch the girls.

xx
  • I was thinking of swimming too fozzie because it's less strenuous than my usual body pump and zumba! Hubby and I are planning to go Tuesday's and Sunday's. Hope we can stick to it! X x